The Sewing Place

Backing fabric?

Surest1tch

Backing fabric?
« on: August 24, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
I got an email this morning showing me this......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butterfly-Dot-Craft-Quilting-Backing-100-cotton-fabric-63-super-width-/114309539824?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

as a few of you know I don't quilt so I don't know if backing cotton is a heavy fabric or not but I like this and wondered if it's a suitable weight to make a top out of. I'm also a bit suspicious of the price for 100% cotton. Can anyone offer any guidance please  <3.
Thanks in advance.

Syrinx

Re: Backing fabric?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »
Backing fabric usually implies it's extra wide (so 60" upwards) but other than that it will be usual quilting cotton weight which I've found is usually mid - heavy depending on designer. A wash will always soften it up! I've made tops and dresses out of it. Current sundress fabric is a batik quilting cotton.

Pricing is usually £5-12pm depending on designer, if it's on sale/remnant etc

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 21:22:41 PM »
Thank you @Syrinx, I've changed my mind obout it, it's going to be too heavy at mid weight plus the more I look at it the more I think it's like something I'd use to make something for a little girl.
Your help was very much appreciated and you made me stop and think  :thinking:before I bought more stuff to stick in the stash mountain  :laughing:

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 21:57:10 PM »
I’m not a fan of dressmaking with quilting cotton... I’ve made a few but find it too stiff.