The Sewing Place

IKEA toy storage repurposed

annieeg

IKEA toy storage repurposed
« on: August 24, 2020, 16:41:10 PM »
This is a picture of the IKEA system, originally intended for toys (I believe), which I used for sewing room storage.  The taller unit with coloured bins was £5 in a charity shop, and the longer system with the white bins was given to me.
I think it works efficiently and while I need to go through and do a thorough inventory, it is certainly better than the numerous bags and crates which I was using before.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

LeilaMay

Re: IKEA toy storage repurposed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 08:48:19 AM »
Very nice! It's a system called "Trofast" which is still for sale in IKEA - the end-on versions but not the longways-on versions. You can buy replacement crates, or crates of different sizes & colours too.
I use mine (child long gone) for my lego storage :)

Leila   :vintage:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
wow, a fiver and free, you've done very well there.

I think Ikea are good for storage. I have a mixture of Ikea, Argos and second hand in my sewing room, but have kept everything white for a vague sense of harmony.
However it doesn't seem to matter how much storage I have I always manage to fill it and have stuff overflowing!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
That all looks great - but is it just me that looks at all the wasted space around each bin?  Surely they could have made them much wider to fill out the width of the storage unit?

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 10:30:06 AM »
Like this!

I wonder if you could get some slide in shelves and then neatly ( ;)) fold the fabrics and use all the space?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »
I saw a good storage system on Ikea's website but it was constantly out of stock so I ended up buying cube storage from Homebase. It's very similar and works well. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

KayK

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 12:15:53 PM »
We went to IKEA in Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago to by this - I previously had an assortment of plastic drawers from Aldi (The frames broke) and some old chests of drawers that had no stopping mechanisms on and one of them fell out and whacked me on the shin!  I was really pleased with them - the units were £30 each, and the yellow trays £1.15 each (cant remember how much the big ones were).  Very handy as I can take the trays to my sewing class!
Best of all, I have plenty of empty trays! The little containers on the top are exactly the right size for pens and pencils too!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:18:14 PM by KayK »
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well