The Sewing Place

The Vlieseline Shortlist from FOQ

Iminei

The Vlieseline Shortlist from FOQ
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »
The shortlist is in ... 

There are some stunning pieces in there but they go far beyond P&Q ... one woman has machine embroidered thousands of flowers (as I do my butterflies) and hung them from the ceiling of a large gallery in an installation I think could not have been displayed at FOQ ... the entry's dimensions are Height (cm) – 400 Width (cm) – 915 Depth (cm) – 600 !!!

There is an incredibly poignant (for me) entry which really only has the most tenuous of links to FOQ because she handstitched some  words that is the very opposite of the flowers size wise Height (cm) – 6 Width (cm) – 28

There are some incredible entries in the modern contemporary way but I think my very favourite has to be Rosie James' Waiting for a meeting to start ... no t least because instead of having a gallery space (and no doubt a professional photographer) she masking taped this huge piece to the gable end of her(I assume) house!!!

Thats the winner but only in my opinion ........
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

Re: The Vlieseline Shortlist from FOQ
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »
Have to say nothing really grabs me.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »
I love the little rooms. I'd love to be able to do something like that in patchwork.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:27:51 AM »
Hmmmm..... :[
Some strange ones there. Many of them not really my 'thing'.

I think my favourite was also the, 'Waiting for a Meeting' one. (It was one of only a few which was actually like a quilt.)
I know it would have stopped me at the FoQ as I wandered by, and I'd have studied all of the images in that one.

Had to smile at the flowers one....imagine sending that in the post to be displayed at the show.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »
Whats stopping you ????

I took the pictures of my rooms on the iPad and then I drew them with an app to draw digitally. I printed the drawings on canvas and then I embroidered them.

In P&Q its just applique  ....

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
Not really my cup of tea.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »
Lack of imagination.  :S
I'd love to 'do' a van Gogh of some sort.

I'd like to play piano like Jools Holland too.  :faints:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
I think some of the entries you've been looking at aren't in the Quilts section? It's a fine art competition, not a quilt competition  :)
No size limits or hanging restrictions were placed on entries.
They suggest you have your entry professionally photographed for submission.
full details here
https://www.thefestivalofquilts.co.uk/fata-submission-criteria/

The overall ethos states:

"FATA is an international juried exhibition open to all amateur and practising artists using textiles as their medium.

The Vlieseline Fine Art Textiles Award will recognise the creative talents and skills of a broad community of high-calibre artists (including quilters) and will celebrate textiles’ rightful place amongst high art.

Our aim is to present work that meets the following criteria and is of a standard that:

Would be considered as fine art and worthy of premium gallery space
    Transcends its craft or making process, standing alone as visual art.
    Is clearly rooted in and reflecting of the inspiration, source, concept or idea of the artist, with fully resolved composition.
    Is rooted within the medium of textile, meaning that cloth and thread are used as the pivotal materials/media.
    Both 2D and 3D works are welcome, with the exception of garments unless said garments present as fine art. All disciplines, processes and media are therefore welcome, as long as the key/pivotal materials are clearly rooted in textiles. Without providing an exhaustive list, in terms of process this might include hand and/or machine stitch, weaving, collage/piecing, wrapping or binding, thread ‘drawing’, surface design, knitting and crochet. In terms of media, other elements can be incorporated such as dyes, discharge media, paint, paper, resin, wax and so forth.
"

Were you seeking the entries and winners in "traditional" for example - you'll find them here

https://www.thefestivalofquilts.co.uk/beyond-foq-quilt-competitions/traditional/

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
This is one of the parts of the Knitting and Stitching Show that I enjoy most. It's so different and so far beyond anything I could ever create. My favourites here would be Floating Garden, Lava Flow, Hanging by a Thread, Rooms A><B. I'd love to see them for real and sadly won't be able to this year.

I'll miss seeing the quilts too and again they're well beyond my limited abilities.

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 17:13:43 PM »
This is one of the parts of the Knitting and Stitching Show that I enjoy most. It's so different and so far beyond anything I could ever create.

Me too. I might not want to own any of them but I am fascinated by what people come up with.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
Thank you @LeilaMay  ...  off to browse the winners ..