The Sewing Place

A rare occurrence

Lowena

A rare occurrence
« on: August 28, 2020, 16:36:39 PM »
Today I have decided upon a very rare action.
I'm putting aside a project as it is just too frustrating!!
I always finish what I start but Elizabeth Hartmans Under the Sea quilt has defeated me :'( :'(
I measure, remeasure, cut carefully and stitch accurately...so...why do the flipping blocks turn out different sizes and why do some components not fit??!! :headbang:
I'm now off to wrestle with 3 finished quilt tops which need sandwiching  :scream:
I May never return!!! :faints:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

Re: A rare occurrence
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 16:48:38 PM »
I think we trust commercially printed patterns but sometimes they contain mistakes which are not corrected.  I have certainly found errors in sewing and knitting patterns.  I think you are right to sideline it if it is causing you so much grief.  You have enough experience to be able to piece a quilt so I'm sure that it isn't you.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 17:12:45 PM »
Thank you @Ploshkin very kind of you. I've got to the point where I don't trust her measurements. I know others have found mistakes too.
The patterns are fiddly enough as it is.
Life's short and I'm old  :thinking:

Stitches

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 17:42:17 PM »
@Lowena let me have it and I will finish it for you

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 15:24:35 PM »
Have a look here @Lowena

These are the corrections to her patterns ...

Its hard to be 100% on the button when you write a pattern/tut (Please remember that when you BOMers open Septembers blocks, I got myself in a right tiz trying to convert one at a time cut measurements to two at a time HST's)
I always read and re read through my tuts over a few days (If I have them) to try and get them right ...

but you'd expect someone who publishes and gets paid for her patterns to try extra hard
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 15:41:41 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 15:34:11 PM »
The only way to proof a pattern is to give it to somebody clueless. Anyone with any experience will tend to use that experience. Clueless people can't.  :)
That's how I did my SOPs in work. Hand a passing randomer an A4 sheet and say 'Here. Make that go'.   :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 15:41:00 PM »
SOPs ????

Do you want to proof read the BOM?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 16:13:25 PM »
Simpleton's Standard operating procedure.
Nope! It'll be fine. It always is.  :hug:

Here! You sayin' :o I'm clueless!?!?!?!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 00:49:37 AM »
Whack it all in the cupboard Lowena until you don't wince every time you think about it...then it's time to get it back out and "reassess the situation"........if you start to wince afresh....turf it in the bin or pass on to someone else, if you look at it and go "hmmmmmmm, let me have a looksie at this" ...then you're ready to give it another bash. :thumbsup:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
Thank you oh wise one :hug:

RJR_38

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 21:33:26 PM »
Whack it all in the cupboard Lowena until you don't wince every time you think about it...then it's time to get it back out and "reassess the situation"........if you start to wince afresh....turf it in the bin or pass on to someone else, if you look at it and go "hmmmmmmm, let me have a looksie at this" ...then you're ready to give it another bash. :thumbsup:

This is exactly what I do! Most things come out of ‘quarantine’ to be completed. So far I have only got rid of one (and that is because it was an early quilt and I hated the pattern and combination of fabrics!)

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 03:28:10 AM »
I've "binned" two WIP...one was even basted and ready to quilt! It felt sooooo good shutting the bin lid and watching the garbage truck trundling down the road towards my house!  :scream: :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 16:29:56 PM »
I've only read this because I'm killing time. I honestly didn't realise you had patterns for quilting, you learn something every day.  I just thought you saw something that caught your eye and went on from there.

I've led a sheltered life I think.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 16:38:56 PM »
@Gernella you can make up your own quilt from geometric shapes but the majority of quilters use commercial patterns at least some of the time.
You can buy individual patterns or books of patterns, or books of blocks.
If you start from scratch you have to be good at maths :D
The pattern I'm having difficulty with is Under the Sea by Elizabeth Hartman and it wasn't cheap  :headbang:

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
How much do the patterns cost @Lowena in relation to garment patterns?

Well that's me out of the darkside for good, never been good at maths without a calculator, which was hilariously funny when I went into financial services at a time when you worked out your own quotes, I soon learned how to use a Brunsviga and nobody ever noticed.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included