The Sewing Place

Septembers Final BOM - Slipknot

Pearl

Re: Septembers Final BOM
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2020, 17:27:59 PM »
Tah-dah!  I have 12 blocks (although I'm going to redo the courthouse steps as it has a grey background when all the others are white).

Iminei

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2020, 06:00:21 AM »
Perfect Pearl (see what I did there??)

Run along now ....  :angel:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lisalou1965

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2020, 12:22:52 PM »
I dunnit. Finally. I quite enjoyed doing this one, when I finally found the time. It is no way near perfect but it will have to do.
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Flobear

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2020, 15:52:53 PM »
Well, I finally got the bits cut out!

It's proving a great relief from the hecticness of tidying and cleaning the house to within an inch of its life. I decided to have a day off from house-selling / hunting biz today - only had a couple of peeks at sites  :[  I would so like a sewing room - even better if it can house the piano as well.

Back to the Sewing room that is really a Dining room.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Flobear

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2020, 18:42:14 PM »
OK. Here's no.1

Not as much contrast as I'd like between Bg and Middle colour but there ya go. Went together reasonably well. A bit of tiddling about to get points where they are. Not perfect but not bad.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2020, 18:45:01 PM »
Just a quick question. I am not quite sure about this part. I have now got 12 blocks which I am happy with, I have done all the main blocks I think, but not the bonus blocks. Is it ok if I leave the remaining blocks and make my quilt with the 12 I have done? I would love to do the other four (?) but I can see that work is not realistically going to leave me with enough time to do that.

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Lilian

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2020, 20:29:24 PM »
OK. Here's no.1

Not as much contrast as I'd like between Bg and Middle colour but there ya go. Went together reasonably well. A bit of tiddling about to get points where they are. Not perfect but not bad.

That, to me is just right with the tones.  It's a gorgeous block :)
Willing but not always able :)

Flobear

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2020, 20:30:43 PM »
Thank you, Lilian  :)

wrenkins

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2020, 21:32:53 PM »
I have almost completed sixteen.  :faints: I have started the quilting on the last one and have hardly any to do on it. The tumbling blocks are quilted to death. I got all carried away.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2020, 22:01:50 PM »
I've quilted 12. I'm running very low on backing fabric and I can't find any more, so 12 it is.
In fact, I unquilted one I wasn't so keen on so I could pinch the fabric off the back. All the strips have been cut to join the backing.
I've got an order for some more of my background fabric, and then I'll be ready to cut out all of the joining strips for the quilt top.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Bjay

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2020, 22:18:22 PM »
I had to buy xtra for the sashing, which is  not cut out.
The background dabic seemed discontinued so hoping the sashing will give it a bit more spice - even more than yellow colours I would  not usually go for for anything

I am making the 16th block using scraps not even sure yet if it will be ok so may lose it later

There are still some blocks to quilt  :thinking:
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Kenora

« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2020, 17:54:53 PM »
I was working on my blocks the day before yesterday, and it was a lovely sunny afternoon. I had cut out all 12 backing squares and wadding pieces for my quilt, and was layering them one by one. I got to the last one - I had the wadding but couldn't find the backing fabric that I'd cut out for it. I spent half an hour looking for the wretched piece, and I was getting more and more frustrated, but it just wasn't anywhere in my (reasonably tidy) sewing room. :S Eventually I gave in and cut out another backing piece - luckily I had just enough fabric for one more piece. I spent all evening wondering whether I was going mad, as I knew I'd cut out enough pieces for the whole quilt.

The next morning my DH came into the kitchen, waving a small wet and very bedraggled scrap of fabric at me. "Did you lose something?" he said, grinning. It was my missing backing piece which he'd found on the paving under the window of my sewing room. Moral of the tale:- don't have the window open when you're working, no matter how nice a day it is. :rolleyes:

All 12 blocks are now layered, quilted and squared to size. The extra two blocks I made have been put on the back - which was quite hard to line up for quilting with the wadding in between them. I'm reasonably happy with the way it's gone but there will be some points chopped off once I come to add the sashing. :S It can't be helped, and I'm not making the blocks again.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sheilago

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2020, 20:10:13 PM »
25th Sept and I’ve just finished my second Sept block! This was certainly well out of my comfort zone, though I love the result. I didn’t read the instructions properly, of course, and cut out all the pieces in brackets too, so plenty bits for my final block  :laughing:
This block will have central pride of place in my quilt as I’m sure I’ll never make such a fiddly block again! I am thinking of scaling the design up, though and making it into a scrappy play quilt.. Think that would look good  :thinking:

wrenkins

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2020, 20:13:19 PM »
That's super @Sheilago. Those colours show the effect really well.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
26th September, puffing and panting, here's September's 2nd BOM.

I love the in-and-out-and-going-behindness of the result and thought Imi played a blinder with the destructions  :thumbsup:  I did the cheats' version, couldn't be doing with stretchy diagonals.

An important lesson I've learnt from all these BOMs is not to choose one-way designs unless you have a very simple block  :[   But I love my Dotty Reeds so much that I had to give them one last outing   :D

May not get Bonus Block done as I have had an offer for my house and one accepted for my new, very own sewing room with house and garden attached!