The Sewing Place

Kitting out a baby doll

Ellabella

Kitting out a baby doll
« on: August 30, 2020, 13:36:15 PM »
I am very excited :faints:

DD has just announced the GD is getting a dolly for her second birthday in late October.

They were always determined that she wouldn’t be dressed in pink and surrounded by unicorns and fluff but she has a very maternal attitude to her cuddly toys. She spends hours wrapping them up in various blankets, cuddling them and singing them to sleep.

I’m thinking I can make a fabric carrycot and bedding and very simple clothes. Not up to @Ann of course but something a toddler can manage.

Looking forward to this.

Sheilago

Re: Kitting out a baby doll
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 14:51:04 PM »
How lovely for you @Ellabella . Have fun making the dolly clothes.
 I have a 2 year old granddaughter and she plays with her mum’s old baby doll ( still in my house) more than her mum ever did. It had clothes, but I have now kitted it out with a Velcro fitted nappy and fleece bootees and bought a magic milk bottle and  juice cup, to prepare her for the arrival of her baby sibling in the winter. Putting the nappy on and off and sitting dolly on a potty also helps introduce the idea of potty training . She loves that kind of play and I don’t see that it’s sexist, so long as she also has access to duplo, blocks, toy cars etc, which she does. She is also a great wee footballer! My 3 year old grandson also loves feeding the dolly
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 14:53:49 PM by Sheilago »

Ann

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 21:05:17 PM »
@Ellabella, I sew for doll collectors. For children I would be making the outfits a tad bigger and using velcro for closures. It is way for easier for children to handle as they don't have the eye hand coordination adults have.

Have fun sewing for your granddaughter and post pictures so can admire them.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 21:29:16 PM »

I’m thinking I can make a fabric carrycot and bedding and very simple clothes.

Something like this , it doesn't have to be pink! 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ann

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 12:02:21 PM »
@BrendaP, that pattern is perfect for a doll. It has everything in one pattern to get started.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 14:26:02 PM »
@BrendaP I'm going to get this pattern but won't make any clothes until the doll is bought.

I've told my daughter to let me know the size as soon as possible.

I can start on the carrycot though.

Now all I have to do is to see what else I need from jaycotts. 0_0

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
I sewed a small starter wardrobe for my GDs doll.

All made from scraps from her clothes and they were a big hit 0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I did try to make a carrycot but didn’t like the result, so baby sleeps in a wicker basket.  Apparently baby gets put to bed when GD does and the first thing she does in the morning is get baby out of her cot.