The Sewing Place

Cherry Blossom in Lockdown

BrendaP

Cherry Blossom in Lockdown
« on: August 31, 2020, 22:41:50 PM »
Back in April, at the height of lockdown Terry thought he shouldn't be taking George :woof: for two walks a day so I was taking him out in the afternoons - a youngish labrador needs his exercise.  Half way along the road, before it turns into a country lane and fields, there is a front garden with a flowering cherry tree. By the end of April the tree was in full bloom and I wanted to try and capture it as a textile picture. 
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I got the background fabrics sorted, with poetic licence to edit out the houses, and was pleased with the way the I did the 'blossom' with eyelash yarn and a very loose sort-of 'blanket stitch'  made up as I went along.  The rainbow is there because there was one chalked onto the pavement about 10m away from the tree.

About a week later after some wet and windy weather the ground was covered in pink petals and the tree was back to its dark red foliage.  I did a tiny bit of hand embroidery to the picture but I just didn't know how to finish it so I put it aside for four months.

Yesterday I looked at it again, and I could see that the stark emptiness of the background reflects the way I was feeling during lockdown.  On some days I didn't see another person for the entire walk and when I did I felt that they were invading 'my' space.   The picture with its emptiness was complete and only needed to be backed and bound.

Through lockdown I sewed at least twenty sets of scrubs, through the FB group Medway Scrubbers.  The first batch was with the preferred 80-20 poly cotton but after a few days all the online supplies of that had sold out and heavier 50-50 was used and then it went down to donated new or lightly used bed sheets and duvet covers.  I used some left over sheet in a rather nasty shade of green for the backing, fused to the support with Bondaweb and the last scraps of the original 80-20 for the binding.

Not a particularly attractive picture but it is what it is; my memories of lockdown 2020.
13" x 16.5"

ETA - the colours in the first two pictures are much better than the finished one, taken just now under artificial light.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 22:51:40 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

Re: Cherry Blossom in Lockdown
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 22:47:00 PM »
I think that is wonderful @BrendaP you are so artistic and have captured the "2020 experience" really well.  You kept that quiet  :ninja:
Willing but not always able :)

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 22:52:10 PM »
It's lovely. You've captured the shape of the tree well, & I agree that the empty background echoes the mood of lockdown. The rainbow will remind you too - it's suddenly on everything but I suppose will dwindle.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 06:58:09 AM »
That is lovely @BrendaP You are one talented lady!!!

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 07:28:59 AM »
That is so clever. I don't think my head has that compartment. If it has I've never seen it.
That is beautiful and a reminder that even when we're going to hell in a handcart we can still admire the view.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 08:05:57 AM »
Wonderful @BrendaP just wonderful!

Its a pity we didnt have a lockdown contest ... but I suppose we were all in shock.

I have the Corona quilt, which was a great focus for each new strange day and that is currently doing a fantastic job of weighing the footstool in the lounge down, (aided by a few other quilts)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 09:13:05 AM »
Thank you all for your nice comments.  Let's hope that we can continue to move away from the restrictions without too many hiccups along the way.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 11:26:47 AM »
Beautiful work @BrendaP and a great way of dealing with what is possibly the worst time most of us have lived through.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 13:07:00 PM »
 :D it lovely. I would love to have a cherry blossom tree.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 16:09:07 PM »
Thank you @CraftyIrish   The blossom tree isn't ours, it's about a dozen houses down the road.  A little Irish leprechaun tree - as per your avatar - would be nice in our garden ;)