The Sewing Place

Bridesmaids outfits

charlotte

Bridesmaids outfits
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »
I've decided on my bridesmaids' outfits!

Long tulle skirts in these colours (there are six of them):

With a top (any style, each bridesmaid's choice) in Liberty's Wild Flowers:

I'm imagining something like this for the skirt:

With a maternity option (it's good to be prepared!) like this:

(I will make them in reverse order of likelihood of being pregnant!)

UttaRetch

Re: Bridesmaids outfits
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
The antique rose would be a good choice.  It will suit fair and golden skintones.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 11:24:14 AM »
Do you mean each dress in a different colour? They're going to be so pretty.  :loveit:

And that's a brilliant idea about the maternity option...there's always one.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:36:54 AM »
Be careful. The bottle green will photograph as black if it's too dark. (Wedding photographer's daughter here.  :))
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »
Lovely idea.  Love the Liberty fabric. 

charlotte

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »
Yes, one skirt in each colour so they are all different, but the tops will be the same fabric so they will still be recognisably my bridesmaids. Because there are so many (well I think six is a lot!) I don't want them all in the same colour/dress.

I can also underline the Liberty fabric with a dark colour to give it a pink/green/purple to best suit each of my bridesmaids and their different skirt colour.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
It's very nice (and very kind!) to have variations so that each bridesmaid can have the colour and style that suits her best - you so often see groups of bridesmaids where some of them look great and the others look uncomfortable and wrong.

I think they will be beautiful.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 11:51:56 AM »
Will you get the final say in who wears which colour?

charlotte

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
Will you get the final say in who wears which colour?

Yes! I think it will be fairly easy though. I think I know what colour each would choose.

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 12:33:49 PM »
It's a nice blend of colors and should look very nice at your wedding!

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 14:13:29 PM »
@charlotte: I would be worried about the greens and purple as it might make any pale skinned girls look ill.  You might want to look at some colours on the yellow and orange spectrums.

charlotte

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 14:59:38 PM »
@charlotte: I would be worried about the greens and purple as it might make any pale skinned girls look ill.  You might want to look at some colours on the yellow and orange spectrums.

I did think about adding a mustard into the mix for one person in particular. I think the army green will work for her though. I'm fairly confident they will be happy with these colours but I'll offer the mustard as a backup.

My Mother in Law to be has also informed my mother that they should each pick something which tones with the bridesmaids' outfits and that my mother must pick first as Mother of the Bride. She would want the mustard. :D (I had never heard of this though and I'm going to tell her she can wear whatever she wants! Although if she wants me to make it she will have to get her order in as I am very busy!!)

BriarRose

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 15:16:52 PM »
I love the colors- they're beautiful together. If I understand correctly that they will be used for skirts and the tops will be of the patterned fabric, how the colors blend with skin tone is not so important as it would be if the colors were going to be closer to the bridesmaids' faces.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 15:57:11 PM »
@charlotte the mums just need not to clash with your chosen colours. You wouldn't want your mum to turn up in orange if the bridesmaids were in red now would you?  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewingj

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 16:12:57 PM »
@charlotte  people will tell you there are all sorts of rules - I was told that as mother-of-the-bride I must wear the biggest hat - I didn't.
I am a bit concerned that you are taking on an awful lot.  I know you are enjoying it at the moment but you will be super busy running up to the big day and you don't want to be so stressed that you don't enjoy it. If anyone offers help say Yes!