The Sewing Place

Bridesmaids outfits

UttaRetch

Re: Bridesmaids outfits
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 16:43:10 PM »
My Mother in Law to be has also informed my mother that they should each pick something which tones with the bridesmaids' outfits and that my mother must pick first as Mother of the Bride.
The job of the mother-in-law is to

Synopsis here.  Sounds like an entertaining read.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 16:55:31 PM »
They will look lovely - and nice that you will have a mix of styles for the tops. what suits a matchstick won't work for the more buxom girls, and vice-versa.

@charlotte: I would be worried about the greens and purple as it might make any pale skinned girls look ill.  You might want to look at some colours on the yellow and orange spectrums.

NO, not orange with the colours in the floral fabric!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BriarRose

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 17:31:29 PM »
I was mother of the bride on the first of August. Had a perfectly serviceable black dress with black lace jacket to go over it.

NO BLACK DRESS, said my daughter. SPARKLY, said my daughter. We went shopping. She chose a white knit lace dress with a pink, white, and black print jacket with sparkly accents on it. White? I said. You want me to wear a white dress at your wedding? I'm wearing cream, she answered, and yes, I want you to wear white and pink and sparkly. So I did.  :thumbsup:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

charlotte

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 10:41:56 AM »
So I'm making a start on the first outfit over the bank holiday weekend. I've pulled out the £4.00 "luxury cotton" I bought to be the base layer of the skirt and it is much heavier weight than I thought - the kind of fabric you'd use for a tablecloth. I originally planned to use the same fabric for the lining.

Really I want to chuck it and buy some nice lawn but I don't want to waste it, so I'm going to try and work with what I've got - 24 metres of the blooming stuff...

Will the skirts be okay unlined? So it will be a layer of the tablecloth fabric, pleated around the waist, then a double layer of gathered tulle on top. The waistband will be a double layer of petersham ribbon. If I finish all the seams nicely on the overlocker will that be okay?

I thought about adding a yoke to reduce the bulk of the pleats at the waist but then they will be much harder to fit - without a yoke I can leave the waistbands until the month of the wedding and readjust the pleats/gathers to fit.

charlotte

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 22:35:36 PM »
Update: I have made two skirts to the first fitting stage, so they are waiting on waistbands and hems. The side seams, pockets, zips etc. are all sewn as any adjustments can be made in the pleats and gathers. The cotton is not too bulky, and actually a nice weight without a lining, so that’s a relief!

I’ve also toiled the first top. Roll on May 17th and fittings being legal!!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 12:06:43 PM »
Looking lovely @charlotte

charlotte

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 10:03:58 AM »
More progress! Top toile number two complete.

My bridesmaids all have very different styles, so although I am putting them all in long tulle skirts and Liberty print tops, I hope they at least have a skirt colour and top design that matches each woman's own personal style.

Anyone else think this pattern is a bit funny with the princess seams offset to the side so far from the bust apex? I am used to them being much closer. That's definitely what the pattern tissue says though. It's Vogue 8997 in case anyone is interested.

Lachica

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »
I've made that pattern several times, for myself & for my friend, and it turns out very well.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
It’s not unheard of @charlotte.  And it does have the extra darting underneath the bust so some of it might have been placed there. 

Sheilago

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
I don’t comment much, but just thought I’d say I’m really enjoying watching your progress with all your wedding outfits. I was mother of the bride 2 years ago and did enjoy all the preparation , but once was enough :D. Cant wait to see all your outfits finished.

charlotte

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
First top is complete!

It was a real test of my spacial awareness getting all the layers and facings together, and it didn't help that my separating zip was too long, but I just left it, as it's hidden by the overlay anyway.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »
Love the fabric, really pretty  :D
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 12:36:04 PM »
Looks gorgeous!  And all those scalloped edges  :o :loveit:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »
Looks lovely

Lachica

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 14:15:36 PM »
That's fab. What an unusual design, but it looks great
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.