The Sewing Place

Bridesmaids outfits

Gernella

Re: Bridesmaids outfits
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2021, 16:46:48 PM »
I remember years ago when my next door neighbour made her daughter's wedding dress.  The agreement was that future mum in law would do the bridesmaids dresses, six I think.  The wedding dress was duly done but six weeks before the wedding mother in law had not even started.  It got down to four weeks and my neighbour was getting really panicky.  To cut a long story short she finished up doing all the bridesmaids dresses.  I felt terrible at the time because I was working but really busy and just didn't want to get involved in something that had to be right and under pressure, I had enough of that at work.

You have my deepest admiration @charlotte you have made a wonderful job.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

charlotte

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2021, 10:24:37 AM »
Another one done! Halfway there now!

However, wearer of the V neck top in the centre of the above picture has decided that she doesn't want the top tucked in, and wants it cropped to the waist.  :\ I think my plan is to leave the invisible zip in the back (just unpick a bit just above the new hem) and add a second invisible zip upside down in the side seam. It does also need taking in a bit, so I  need to redo the side and/or princess seams anyway, otherwise I think I would flat out refuse.

Elnnina

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »
These bridesmaids dresses are absolutely beautiful Charlotte, just love the colours and they all go so well with the bodice fabric, I do hope hour bridesmaids appreciate just how much you are putting into making all of these.

Missie

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2021, 13:04:28 PM »
I love that they are all similar yet different.  Fab idea and great job!

Boppingbeth

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2021, 00:27:05 AM »
Those are fabulous!  Well done.  :perfect10:

charlotte

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
Another toile/skirt without waistband finished. This one has a cap sleeve and a strap option. Seeing this bridesmaid next weekend to fit the toile and then I can get on and make her top.

And then I have also done as much as I can for my currently pregnant bridesmaid who is due four weeks before the wedding! Skirt has an elasticated band to sit at the underbust rather than the waist, and her top is designed to be nice and loose with plenty of ease on the bust and waist (I used the Grainline Studio Willow Tank as a base). It has huge seam allowances and I haven't sewn the hem or facings so I can do plenty of alterations - change the neckline, add some waist darts, and obviously take the shoulders and side seams in and out. Hoping not to move the bust dart (just adjust the shoulders and reshape the armscyes until it's in the right place!) but I think there is plenty of room for manoeuvre.

I absolutely love the buttons. They are vintage green glass and I think they work so well with the fabric. I did 'cheat' and use elastic button loop tape, rather than making rouleau loops though!

SunnyWave

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
Antique Rose is amazing color! I probably got to look for something similar for my skirts, I really love it

charlotte

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2022, 11:49:26 AM »
And the last one is done!

Obviously I still have to fit and finish the top and hem of the skirt for my post-natal bridesmaid. (Her due date was yesterday, but no sign of impending arrival yet!)

Unfortunately one of my bridesmaids can now no longer make the wedding, which is really sad. (She's moving country for work and won't have her passport back from the visa office to come back.) So these are the other four outfits which will actually be appearing at the wedding:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:04:01 PM by charlotte »

Lachica

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2022, 13:14:24 PM »
They're all lovely! I like that the tops are all the same fabric design in different colourways, with the toning skirts they are just so elegant. What a thoughtful bride you are! Looking forward to a pic of you & your bridesmaids on the day - not long now!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2022, 14:34:18 PM »
Just beautiful  <3
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

realale

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2022, 17:30:25 PM »
Those are so lovely. All individual but cohesive and co-ordinated. Lovely.   :love:
So many beers, so little time.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2022, 20:30:26 PM »
They are lovely.

BrendaP

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2022, 20:56:58 PM »
They are really lovely dresses.  The differences will allow each bridesmaid to be her individual self yet at the same time they are clearly all co-ordinated with the matching fabric for the tops.   :perfect10:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2022, 23:07:18 PM »
Wonderful- looking forward to the wedding photos! :loveit:

Cazlyn

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2022, 08:29:55 AM »
Gorgeous outfits, looking forward to some wedding pics!
Crafting is my happy place