The Sewing Place

The Joy of wearing self sewn garments

SewRuthieSews

The Joy of wearing self sewn garments
« on: September 03, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
Today I am wearing trousers, top and cardigan all of which I sewed myself.
Its a great feeling!

All the garments are made from Tried-n-Tested patterns which I have tweaked from the original to get a better fit.

The garments are fairly ordinary and not Instaworthy but they fit the body and lifestyle I have now.

Stretch woven navy trousers from New Look 6216 (lengthened at the hem, back crotch altered).
Floral print knit top from New Look 6735 (altered for full tummy, full bicep and forward head).
Navy ponte cardigan from Wendy Ward's Sewing with Knits book, pockets stitched up a bit and slightly shortened to use scraps from another project.

Gernella

Re: The Joy of wearing self sewn garments
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 10:28:13 AM »
Don't you just love it, having something to wear everyday without wondering if it's in the laundry bin, because there is so much to go at.

I must admit it truly is a joy to be able to sew  and make things that are useful and wearable.   
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 11:13:11 AM »
I couldn’t agree more @SewRuthieSews, I wouldn’t even know where to buy dresses I like and fit me.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 11:32:37 AM »
I like it when people comment on my tapestry coat and say 'thanks, I made it'. 

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
I don't even have to wear them.  I have a drawer full of almost all home made tops (the exceptions being half a dozen gig t-shirts), all nicely folded up and divided up using Ikea Shrubb organisers.  It gives me a great thrill every time I open it, partly because they are all unique, and partly because it's probably the only part of the house that is perfectly organised!
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
Definitely @SewRuthieSews.  Clothes are so much comfier when they fit.  I love stretch woven trousers too although can’t always find the stuff. 
I have a wardrobe in the spare room which has loads of me made tops in which I’ve never worn!   There must be about 7 of them, couple of cardigans and trousers.  Most made for our hols that never happened.  But when the others wear out I’ll go and 'buy' a new one.  ;)

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
I had a quick look around the shops..... I’m so glad I make my own.

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »
Often my me-mades become all time favourites so I tend to wear them to death and beyond the looking tired and a bit shabby stage.  Periodic culling the wardrobe is not usually a problem but occasionally I struggle to let a few of the favourite me-mades go.  It's usually when it's a particular fabric I fell in love with and still adore or it's a perfect wardrobe piece.     The best/worst are the me-mades that are the perfect pattern/fabric/wardrobe/lifestyle  pieces.  It's daft because there are lots of other me-mades that I've made, worn a couple of times and given away quite content to say goodbye 

By way of example the  coat on the link is ( in my view) so pilled and tired looking it can no longer be seen in public, but it still hangs in the wardrobe waiting until I get around to harvesting the buttons and replacing it.
https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/125908

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:10:47 PM by Morgan »

jintie

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
@Morgan I found a way of letting go of well worn garments is to ask myself if I would pack them for a trip.
Nowadays, I donate while clothes are still ok for sale in a charity shop.
If they are only fit to be cut up for rags, then I have held onto them too long.
Rottweiler with scissors

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »
I hang on to mine till they are well worn but those are worn indoors. 

Old tee shirts are cut up for dusters. 

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 12:48:50 PM »
@jintie I agree.  Usually I am one of the world's best at wardrobe culling. It's a regular thing for me ever since some years ago I adopted the principle of fewer clothes and wear most of what I have.  A wardrobe mix that matches lifestyle is the key.
I do still miss making really nice and interesting jackets/work outfits and lovely evening wear - but that was the previous life and now the mix is mostly casual.
The holding onto it issue only happens with certain favourite me-mades.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »
I’ve got several nice silk tops and trousers made for evenings on cruises.  I’m wondering if I’ll ever get to wear them again.  :( 

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 19:53:38 PM »
Of course you will, why wouldn't you? If you enjoy cruising go for it.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 19:57:45 PM »
Actually I've had a disaster, about 4 years ago I made myself a dressing gown in a Liberty lawn, Glen something it was called.  Last week I was knelt down in it one morning (feeding cat his breakfast and cleaning litter tray), and it tore.  When I went to repair it I noticed that the fabric seemed to be wearing thin in places.  Repaired it and it went again near the original tear.

It only cost me £12 a meter so I'm wondering if it was seconds.  The other one, done a year later in Lady McEllroy lawn is fine.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Happymrsg

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 13:31:17 PM »
This summer I made 2 Style Arc Montana Midi dresses & was delighted with both.
I was wearing one of them & a friend asked me "Is that Boden"?
and one day wearing the other someone stopped me in the street to tell me how much she liked my dress & where did I buy it?
These 2 comments really delighted me.
But if my friend, who knows I sew,  had not asked if it was Boden but asked if I had made it, I wouldn't have felt so pleased. I would have wondered why she asked, what is wrong with the dress, etc.
So although I enjoy making my self sewn clothes, I cannot get over feeling self conscious.