The Sewing Place

The Joy of wearing self sewn garments

Ohsewsimple

Re: The Joy of wearing self sewn garments
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 14:21:32 PM »
Of course you will, why wouldn't you? If you enjoy cruising go for it.

@Catllar well there is talk of people over a certain age not being allowed to cruise.  DH is over 70 although probably fitter than me.  But I guess they could stop your insurance from covering you!  Twice we’ve had people taken off the ship.  I later found out that the last one died! 

Sewot

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 12:30:26 PM »
I also get a kick out of wearing my own makes.
They are nothing to scream about but they are good quality fabric and I made them.
I have 12 hand made shirts..casual all from Linen.
12 pairs of decent underwear that do not fall to bits and sag. Took me ages to draft my own pants but finally got there.
I hated buying underwear as it was always a guess on size. I know now if I make em they will fit.

Two prs of shorts and two pairs if lightweight trousers/ pants and still going!!!
Oh yes....a coat as I was getting cold.
I aim to have my drawers full of only hand made clothes because it really does make me feel special although I am not.
Pity about socks though!!!
How can I get around them? .
I don't want to buy them and I cannot/ don't want to knit.
How do the Amish make socks?
Anyone know?
I am interested.
Or....don't wear any!!!!

Pete

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 07:40:46 AM »
I very much enjoy the process of sewing.  When I retired I pretty much stopped wearing skirts, dresses, blouses etc and found that I wanted to make clothes but didnt need to.  As i spend most of my life in jeans, t shirts and sweat shirts I bought an overlocker and started mainly.making those.  I took time to get a jeans pattern to fit well and have some good, go to patterns for stretch tops and cardigans.
I use left over bits of jersey for knickers.
So, I can still enjoy sewing, everything I make gets worn and I don't have to go shopping for clothes which I hate.
Life's too short for ironing.

Starryfish

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »
Nearly everything I wear is made by me. I didn't make my walking jacket, far too difficult to get all the technical bits and the correct fabric. I don't make my underwear or socks and buy the occasional jumper. I have a hard to fit lower body so jeans are definitely worth the effort.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Sewot

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 08:53:38 AM »
I very much enjoy the process of sewing.  When I retired I pretty much stopped wearing skirts, dresses, blouses etc and found that I wanted to make clothes but didnt need to.  As i spend most of my life in jeans, t shirts and sweat shirts I bought an overlocker and started mainly.making those.  I took time to get a jeans pattern to fit well and have some good, go to patterns for stretch tops and cardigans.
I use left over bits of jersey for knickers.
So, I can still enjoy sewing, everything I make gets worn and I don't have to go shopping for clothes which I hate.
@Ploshkin you have more or less described my clothing tastes, hates and desires to sew.
I have made zipped trousers before but when it comes to the fly bit I always goof it up.
I end up seeing the zip all the time.
I would like to get it right just for the sake of it all.
Do you use your overlocker to sew the seams or do you use both ( a machine)?
Then I go to the thrift shop and see the most beautiful mens shirts and stuff for a few bucks and I think why bother?
Stay outa thrift shops I suppose.
But i bought a nice double douvet cover from 100% Egyptian Cotton for $5.00.
Thats a few shirts and a pair of pants!!!!
Pete

Sewot

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
Buy one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-AUTO-KNITTER-SOCK-KNITTING-MACHINE-2-CYL-60-72-2-RIB-30-36-W-NEW-NEEDLES/283998978358?hash=item421fa88136:g:5cUAAOSwXzBfUQCs

There are some of the original Victorian ones around - worth looking out for?
Crickey!!!
Didnt know such things existed.
What a beautiful piece of engineering!!
I had to chuckle at the two cylinder bit!
I immediately thought that a 5 litre V8 would knit them quicker and let all the neighbours know I am making socks.
I suppose the Victorians must have used something like it.
The price is formidable as $1500 is a whole bunch of socks out here.
I will not live to wear them all.
Pete

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 10:12:46 AM »
@Sewot I use the overlocker for the long seams of jeans then top stitch by machine.  I also use the overlocker to finish the edges of bits like the fly facing and pocket applique.
I followed Prof. Kenneth D King's Craftsy class for my first jeans making attempt and thats the process / construction order I always use.  I can get the zip fly right but it doesn't seem to matter how far over I place the button the zip pull always seems to be a bit visible at the top when I wear them.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
Today's knitting machines have developed from Victorian sock/stocking machines. They were the first to use latched needles and the needle bed was simply flattened out to knit pieces that were not tubular.

Silver Rose

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
I make most of my clothes, I buy overcoats, sweaters, T shirts and underwear. After 4 attempts I have a foolproof pattern for trousers that fit. I love my cosy me-made cotton jersey nightshirts. I always feel proud when somebody asks where did I buy the dress/skirt or jacket I am wearing.
Still learning

Starryfish

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
@Silver Rose , I like making coats and jackets.
I have at the moment in the wardrobes.
A) Two raincoats one red, one cream
B) One navy thick wool wrap coat
C) One white denim jacket
D) One red wool suit jacket
E) Three collarless french style jackets in black , midblue silk tweed, blue linen
F) One caramel faux suede jacket
G) One gold and denim jacket ( worn once only , I think it is destined for a charity shop)

I have a new short raincoat in progress and a off white boiled wool coat to be made as part of my 6PAC next month.

Do you think that's enough? My  style is obviously classic, I can't get away from it!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Silver Rose

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 14:38:12 PM »
You can never have enough beautiful stylish clothes @Starryfish , your wardrobe sounds lovely. I have made 2 blazer jackets and a cape but haven't attempted a proper coat although I have got the Lisette coat pattern so maybe one day.
Still learning

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 18:31:04 PM »
@Catllar well there is talk of people over a certain age not being allowed to cruise.  DH is over 70 although probably fitter than me.  But I guess they could stop your insurance from covering you!  Twice we’ve had people taken off the ship.  I later found out that the last one died! 
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 19:22:14 PM »
Yes I much prefer me-made clothes and if I attended a job interview (thankfully those are a thing of the past now) I'd be wearing my own stuff cos it's lucky. I don't have a problem taking shop bought clothes to the charity shop but I find it harder to part with clothes I've invested my time in making.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde