The Sewing Place

Tilly and the buttons Sewing Rooms

Gernella

Tilly and the buttons Sewing Rooms
« on: September 03, 2020, 10:19:20 AM »
I've had an email today from one of those Bloglovin digests that I must have signed up and which I usually delete straight away.  But, there was one for Tilly and the Buttons and her sewing room, so of course being nosy I went looking.

Everything was in its place as expected  but sewing space was limited as was room to the left of the machine, I like a lot.  Fabrics rolled for storage and on show, I like mine away out of sight.  Then we were offered to see the sewing spaces of her sewing friends.

What stood out was they all very similar, apart from machines, from cheap to expensive, even the colours looked the same and all had paid a visit to Ikea, all super tidy, all had chairs that wouldn't to me, would be very good for a couple of hours sewing.  Also machines but I didn't see any cables.

Now I know in my aim for light in a north facing round, I've gone too bland, which I aim to change but even when I'm tidy I look as if I have work to do, stuff around the machine etc.  These seemed to be just like something you would see in a magazine, nice to look but not very liveable for your average family with children.

So probably being catty but stuff their sewing spaces I've seen far better on here.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kwaaked

Re: Tilly and the buttons Sewing Rooms
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
My work area is industrial and at home I have a floor lamp, my alarm pad and a really ugly, old lady flower pot painting that was last popular in 1980 with all the mauve and baby blues...but still.

There is just no personality to it.  Even at work in the back where no one is but me and my family (I can't kick them out, or I would) I still have stuff that is more "me".

It really misses that "something" doesn't it?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »
These are show rooms. They've been styled and set up to make us go oh and awe and be super impressed by the Sewing Goddesses who they belong to. In actual use they don't look like this.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 11:46:41 AM »
For the nosey.  Some of those rooms have far too much on display. 

All my stuff is hidden hidden behind cupboard doors and so far all I have in my room is a massive cutting table and my Mother's old Singer which has been folded down into the cupboard.  My own sewing machine is in it's carry bag in a corner of the cupboard.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 12:32:39 PM »
Oh heck. No my fabric is put away out of the light.  And what is this idea of having threads on display?  As much out of the way as possible.  If I’m embroidering it gets messy with threads everywhere.  But I tidy after.  And like you @Gernella i have to have lots of room to the left of the machines. 

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »
These are show rooms. They've been styled and set up to make us go oh and awe and be super impressed by the Sewing Goddesses who they belong to. In actual use they don't look like this.

Dead right @Renegade Sewist , all I thought was twee. Mind you I could nearly live with this top picture:

https://www.incolororder.com/2019/02/2019-sewing-room-tour.html

But I want wheels on the chair.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 13:23:29 PM »
I could definitely live with that space @Gernella

The Tilly ones? Nah, look designed for photographs not work.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 13:25:52 PM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 13:28:51 PM »
Aw, how cute  :laughing:
When they are properly grown up, they may find out what a proper grown up sewing room looks like  :laughing:

And just me cringing at the amount of dust that would be sitting on all those cones of wool in one of them??

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 13:32:20 PM »
Lots of space and a nice long run of workspace in that photo.  Don’t like the dark furniture but I could live with it if I had that much room.  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 13:48:20 PM »
I like to have things in cupboards and drawers if I can, though I do hang rulers on the wall.
I have too much thread to wall mount it, plus doesn't it fade from the light?
I've gone for all white melamine furniture from multiple suppliers that way it sort of works together.

charlotte

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 14:03:31 PM »
I have to admit to not hating the general aesthetic, and to my sewing room being almost entirely kitted out from Ikea and Argos, but seriously: WHERE IS ALL HER STUFF???

Why would you keep your fabric out by the window to get faded? Is that all her thread? Are those all her sewing patterns? One tiny shelf for interfacing? Where does she cut out?

It doesn't look like a super-practical space to me, but I think my sewing room's primary function is a storage unit!

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 14:28:53 PM »
Aw, how cute  :laughing:
When they are properly grown up, they may find out what a proper grown up sewing room looks like  :laughing:

And just me cringing at the amount of dust that would be sitting on all those cones of wool in one of them??

Tomorrow @Bodgeitandscarper  I will have cleared the current project, a quickie, I might get the camera out to photograph a few choice spots of my leisure space.  I promise, without any tidying up. :laughing:

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 15:59:59 PM »
If everyone starts posting pics of their sewing area @Lowena will clean die over!  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 16:50:04 PM »
I was going to say that the last one with the cube storage was least twee and impractical with threads and fabrics exposed to sunlight;

but then I saw the vintage machine  :vintage: displayed to show the back of it!

None of those are serious sewing spaces.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 19:56:44 PM »
Well mine should be tidy and organised with a designated place for everything to live, but it's not, most of the time it's like a tip. I go in there with the sole intention of putting things back where they belong and succeed so it looks lovely, however a day or two later I decide to go sew something but instead of getting what I want out (which is usually under other stuff) of its draw or cupboard I pull everything out and drop it on the floor intending to put it back when I've finished but it never works that way