The Sewing Place

Tilly and the buttons Sewing Rooms

mudcat

Re: Tilly and the buttons Sewing Rooms
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 02:00:54 AM »
My fabric and thread are all in bins/shelves/drawers and out of the light.  Most of those are way to frilly for my taste.  Some day my sewing room will be neat again and I'll post some photos.  It's pretty much a disaster area at the moment and has been for the last couple of years.  Too much stuff.

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »
Down and dirty.

Workspace:

Storage racks:  That's carpet cleaner in case the cat pukes up, when he was small he would chew anything.  Long bag on the floor is full of knitting needles, not been in use since 2008 but I daren't give away.

Understorage:

Mini ironing  board, stored out of the way:

Iron:  Left out, usually goes under

Drawer storage:

Same all the way down apart from this:

Extra storage:

Space I've had to give up, cat's bed:  Machine put in front so he does't pinch more space

Extra storage on landing:  That end bag is upside down, I was going to use the machine again.

As you can see functional but not pretty and the carpet is clean as well.

Oh forgot one, view from my desk <3

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 21:07:53 PM »
@Gernella that last shot is the best. A nice little dose of reality.  :dance:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

datcat23

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 01:28:45 AM »
I am one of those annoying people, that tend to have a tidy and organised sewing room ..... well usually.  Like others, I find the colour coded and well curated spaces that are on show, just a bit annoying.  I don't believe in having thread on show, dust is a major issue in australia ..... the same goes for fabric.  We have really strong sunlight, and your clothes fade while you are wearing them, let alone being rolled up on show. 

I have been working from home for the last 6 months, so the work desk has had to slot into my sewing room.  On the whole its an ok setup, although being surrounded by your hobby, when you should be working is tough.  And conversely, having my work space in the sewing room, has had a fairly significant impact on my sew-jo.  At the moment, my cutting table is a bit of a mess, and I really need to get in and sew up the myriad of projects I have cut out ready to go. 

The photos show my weekend set-up.  The folder stand, mousemat and keyboard get moved to the left slightly, so they don't interfere with the embroidery machine.  I probably should set up in a different room, but meh! too lazy. 

Sewing room 2020 by Dani, on Flickr

I really need to clear this table ..... its getting out of hand.

Sewing room 2020 by Dani, on Flickr

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 01:35:47 AM »
Each on their own. Due to lack of space for cupboards and drawers, I have all my tools out on pegboard within arm’s reach from my machine, very convenient. Most used threads are on display, thread in colours I use less are on thread holders in 2 drawers. The few cupboards I have are used for fabric storage, and I roll the fabric up the way Tilly does, so when I open the cupboard I see exactly what I have.
I do tidy up my space after each project (in Hong Kong) or after a day of sewing (in Thailand) and have small car vacuum cleaners in both spaces. My sewing room in Hong Kong also has a chandelier and I have turned the bay window into a window seat for my working space. Pictures of both spaces are posted here somewhere - again, what works for me might not work for others.....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:37:25 AM by Manuela »

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 07:10:06 AM »
When I'm actually sewing something my space becomes increasingly chaotic but I make myself clean my machines, clear up and put everything away after each sewing project even if I'm going to get things out again immediately.  If I didn't do that it would become impossible to work and I wouldn't be able to find anything.
Currently, with the building work, my sewing space is squashed into one small corner as the small room is doubling up as the office as well as storing stuff.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 07:32:28 AM »
I'm with you @Ploshkin on the increasing chaos but not so much on the tidying up after.
Every now and again I will gather everything into small heaps over two tables, an island bench and an ironing board in the kitchen but eventually it all spreads out to one layer thick again.  :S Although the mess seems constant it isn't. It's always moving and the keen observer will notice a change in colours. Thankfully there aren't many keen observers so I can just carry on...
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
I need a bin

Efemera

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 08:05:25 AM »
I need some kind of order...which means everything is stuffed behind closed doors!
My room doubles as a craft room so there’s all kinds of stuff.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »
It is so much fun seeing all these sewing rooms.

Mine is really messy at the moment, but I may do some photos if/when I tidy it up a bit.

BrendaP

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 09:42:06 AM »
Same here!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »

I really need to clear this table ..... its getting out of hand.

[

Yep, I could move into this room @datcat23  and I'll have that chair as well I've shifted my bum that much on the edge of mine it has worn away down to the foam now.  I think that will be my Christmas present, a new chair.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
I need some kind of order...which means everything is stuffed behind closed doors!
My room doubles as a craft room so there’s all kinds of stuff.

I want that view, I'm sure I'd sew better with a good view. 0_0

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »
@Efemera some serious drooling going on here. The view is delightful. I'd like a closer look into those 2 glass fronted cupboards. I have a fair amount of that sort of stuff and love to see what others have. Any chance you could do a couple photos for moi with the doors open? Pretty please?..... :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
I want that view, I'm sure I'd sew better with a good view. 0_0

Yeah. Me too.  I'd sew so much better with a breathtaking expansive view.  :laughing: