The Sewing Place

Feets!

TartanPaint

Feets!
« on: September 03, 2020, 19:30:02 PM »
Sorry to be a pain, ladies. Are any of these a quarter inch foot or a piecing foot or any of the feets you told me to get for quilting?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

:)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 19:31:38 PM by TartanPaint »
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

Lilian

Re: Feets!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 20:09:34 PM »
Not that I can see @TartanPaint

The top one is a zipper foot
2nd is a Stitch in the ditch foot
3rd for sewing on buttons
4th not sure ? I think for overcast stitch
5th a standard foot (most used one)
last is for button holes
Willing but not always able :)

TartanPaint

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 21:17:44 PM »
@Lilian

Thank you so much. I'll go and Google what they all do.

:flower:

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 21:37:05 PM »
My 1/4" brother foot is marked X. It is no more a 1/4" than I am so today I decided to try using my G foot. I put the needle over to the far left and tested it on a piece of scrap. I sewed about 100 pieces all together to form a perfect 12 1/2" square.  :dance: I'll be sticking with Mr G in future.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 21:43:50 PM »
I use the C Brother foot and stitch number 30 for my quarter inch seam
Triumph of hope over experience :D

TartanPaint

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 22:19:32 PM »
@Lowena  @wrenkins

I was looking at the G Foot thinking how similar it was to the feet you were all talking about.

I'm off to Google a C Foot now.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 22:27:05 PM »
I don't have a C foot and I can't find one on Google either.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

TartanPaint

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 22:38:35 PM »
@wrenkins

From what I can see I think it's the free motion quilting foot.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 04:02:01 AM »
@TartanPaint do you not have the manual for the sewing machine? It'll explain what each foot does and give you settings for using them. My Brother is adamant about me using the foot it tells me to use for a particular job.

IIRC I tossed the ¼ inch foot into a bag far away from the machine so I'll never accidentally use it again. The one I bought was total crap. I believe it's the G that I use. Haven't sewn into long I don't remember. You just need to place the needle correctly.

Now on some machines the ¼ inch foot is heavenly and makes life much easier. On others they aren't quite accurate in actual use and can cause you nightmares. I tend to do blocks where it's less critical and you just need to be consistent then trim them up when you're all done.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »
@TartanPaint the FMQ foot is a bit of a contraption with springs and wotnot. Is that really what you use @Lowena? Mine doesn't have any letters on it so I don't know.
@Renegade Sewist my machine tries to dictate to me too but if the needle misses the metal bits and I get the desired effect then that's the foot I use.  :ninja:

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 07:33:12 AM »
The foot I use for fmq is a clear open toe "darning and embroidery" foot for my janome. Though it has started squeaking intermittently, if only one could oil a spring!

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 07:35:01 AM »
Yes that's the one @Syrinx. My walking foot has started squeaking!  :[

TartanPaint

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »
@Syrinx @wrenkins

WD-40 or white lithium grease on a cotton bud. Sparingly!

The G foot definitely seams the way to go....

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
Be aware that the letters refer to specific brands (Brother in this case). 

The C foot for my Husqvarna is a buttonhole sensor foot, which I've never used as I don't have a buttonhole sensor which is apparently a contraption which fits to the left of the needle and measures how long you have made the side of a buttonhole,
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 12:34:01 PM »
@BrendaP the C foot is an ordinary buttonhole foot.  The sensor buttonhole foot comes complete and has an extra piece joined on.  I have both with my machines