The Sewing Place

Feets!

Ploshkin

Re: Feets!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
Even if you have a pucker quarter inch foot you will not necessarily get an accurate scant 1/4" seam which is called for in quilt piecing.
 it is always recommended that you cut 2 strips of fabric as accurately as possible e.g. 3" wide.  Stitch them together down the length with a 1/4" seam.  Press the seam, firstly  'as sewn' then open it out and press both seam allowances to one side (as you would do when piecing).  Measure across the joined piece - if you started with 3" strips your joined piece should be an accurate 5 1 /2" .
On most modern machines you can shift the needle position by very small increments.  You may need to do this to achieve an accurate 1/4" seam.

You could use any foot really so long as you know where to position the needle or which part of the foot to line up with.  I'm lucky that my Pfaff 1/4" foot is spot on and it is the foot that is on my machine most of the time.

Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
@BrendaP the C foot is an ordinary buttonhole foot.  The sensor buttonhole foot comes complete and has an extra piece joined on.  I have both with my machines

@Ohsewsimple   The foot I have with C embossed on it is this one.

I'm happy using the buttonhole attachment for the vintage Singers
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 23:12:11 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 12:55:31 PM »
Yes just an ordinary buttonhole foot @BrendaP

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 19:11:22 PM »
A little late here...

I've always used the zig-zag foot on any machine for most garment sewing. I don't like changing the foot to finish, zz, an edge. The foot would also do 1/4" top stitching. Janome, Singer, Brother, Elna. I think my neice's Bernina did the same. Needle position may have been adjusted at times also. Have primarily used my Janome for 30+ years, the clear plastic zz foot fits the bill - no needle adjustment.