The Sewing Place

Anyone got a Knitmaster 600/700?

Greybird

Anyone got a Knitmaster 600/700?
« on: September 04, 2020, 17:57:28 PM »
I have finally managed to get my Knitmaster 700 set up in my, newly free, small bedroom. It was in a Horn cabinet but closed away from 2005 (hiding from grandchildren) until 2015 when we moved here and since then it's been stored in it's cardboard box in a dry garage.

I have realised that, although I used to work for Knitmaster and demonstrate these things, it has been so long that I am little more than a beginner again. I do remember that the carriage on it moved very freely and easily but in spite of a good clean and thorough oiling, now it doesn't - it's very stiff. What I have noticed is that if I move the carriage to the extreme left, once the left hand memory drum passes the end of the bed, it is much freer. Looking at it, that drum is sticking out from the back of the carriage further than the right hand drum. I really can't remember if it is supposed to or whether it has somehow got misplaced.

I wondered if anyone has one that they could look at for me and see if theirs is the same?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Anyone got a Knitmaster 600/700?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 18:42:03 PM »
I don't have a Knitmaster, but did go to help someone with one a year (or two) or so ago, and discovered that the drums can be freed off with a hair dryer as the oil on them solidifies over time.  Also right at the ends I think you should have "side racks" that the drums connect with and they very often just disintegrate.

Also, I think it will have a sponge bar, or needle retaining bar.  If it does have this, it's highly likely it will need replacing as the sponge will have disintegrated, or even become a bit of a goo-ey mess.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 23:05:31 PM »
Thanks @Bodgeitandscarper . I did replace the sponge bar before packing it up to move, without realising it would be another 5 years before it came out of it's box again. I think that's still OK. One of the side racks has indeed disintegrated and I have ordered new ones. The memory drums do seem to be turning fairly freely but I'll try the hairdryer trick just in case. I just can't understand why one of the drums should stick out more than the other one - I've certainly never noticed it before. We don't seem to have any service/repair facilities anywhere near here and I can only think to compare it with a similar machine.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 08:52:17 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper - the hairdryer has improved things a lot! Thank you so much. It isn't quite what it was but hopefully it will improve further with use.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
Glad it's helped.  I think however that it may keep solidifying, and some people take them all apart and clean them out!  :o
But on the other hand, if you keep using it and the hair dryer when/if necessary, it should keep it free.

If you use facebook, folks in machine knitting groups are really helpful, a lot are rediscovering the wonders of machine knitting these days, and of course a lot of old machines need rejuvenating.
If you used to demo them, I'm sure it will all come back to you.  I found after a 25 or so year gap, i knew that I could do things, but not necessarily remember how - thank goodness for the internet as not all manuals are very helpful!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:42:42 AM »
I forgot to mention, looking forward to seeing pics of what you knit  0_0

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:26:24 AM »
Might be a while - said drum has seized up again now it's cooled down. I don't fancy my chances at dismantling it so I have sent for a cleaning spray which is supposed to leave no residue and should remove the oil deposits. Needless to say I shall be testing it on various surface types before subjecting my machine to it. I can't think what else I can do! I am very grateful for your accurate diagnosis of the problem.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »
@Greybird I used to sell second hand knitting machines and him indoors used to Service and repair them it was a long time ago but I have just told him about yours and he asked what type of cleaning spray you are getting as there are some that make things worse. 

I am trying to find a place to put one of my knitting machines up, I still have way too many and need to get rib of one or 2 but if I can find a place to use one then it will be easier to decide what to get rid of.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »
@Celia this is the one I have ordered

https://www.dortechdirect.co.uk/wurth-industry-cleaner.html

But I shan't use it if I'm in any doubt about the effect it might have. I did quite a bit of online searching before ordering it and counted out a lot of them because they were for use on computers and watches which I think don't use oil? Does your OH have other recommendation?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 14:35:45 PM »
@Celia 
"I am trying to find a place to put one of my knitting machines up, I still have way too many and need to get rib of one or 2 "  A genuine Freudian slip?
(I posted this earlier and somehow it ended up in the thread from the newbie in Huddersfield.  How did that happen?  Wonder if I started from the Recent Posts and it just got stuck onto the last one.  Ah well.)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Celia

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 14:43:24 PM »
  @Greybird        I have just shown your link to him but he said he has no experience of that type, it says grease so that may be good, I know a lot of people used to use WD40 and that makes things a whole lot worse.
He used to take the machines apart and clean them all out,  we did mainly work with Brother machines but I do have a fine gauge silver punchcard which is similar to yours, I will get it out and get him to look at it to see if he can come up with more ideas.
I hope you do get it working again, I need some encouragement to try mine.

@toileandtrouble i did wonder how I got on that post??? A definite Freudian slip :loveit:

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 16:25:44 PM »
I did find a You Tube video which showed a carriage being taken apart to get to the drums, but it wasn't even the same make and, having watched it, there is no way I am even going to think about trying it!

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 18:02:33 PM »
There are two places you might get some help from, one is Anne Smith of Machine Knitting Monthly magazine - she is in Maidenhead, has run the magazine since it started, and is a machine knitter herself - she knows so much about the machines it may be worth a call to her - 01628 783080.  The other place is Silver Viscount - the people who were/are Knitmaster - Knitmaster were marketed by Silver in the Far East, and then a few years back now became Silver Viscount here in the UK.  They are based up in Northampton and there phone no. is 01933 311888.  I had dealings with them a few years ago ( Anne Smith put me in touch with them) and they were extremely helpful.

Anne might know of someone who actually does maintenance or repairs knitting machines, but I bet they are few and far between.

Hope you can get this sorted soon as I bet you are really wanting to get back into this now.  By the way the only machine knitting magazine left nowadays is Machine Knitting Monthly, but Anne Smith has her finger on the pulse regarding machine knitting, so I am sure she can help you - she is lovely to chat to as well.

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 20:15:31 PM »
Thank you @Elnnina .Those are very useful to know. I am waiting for the cleaning spray to be delivered and am hoping that will do the trick. If it doesn't however.....................!

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »
The spray has done the trick! My machine is now purring. I had forgotten how much I love this machine. It's smooth (now!), easy, good tempered and gives very few problems. I shan't be putting it back in it's box in a hurry.