The Sewing Place

Anyone used Necchi Q132a? Looking for a new machine

sshoults

Anyone used Necchi Q132a? Looking for a new machine
« on: September 05, 2020, 22:56:59 PM »
Hi all, nice to meet you! I've been sewing in a haphazard way for years but recently decided to learn properly. I'm currently using my mum's vintage 1958 Singer 185k which is semi-industrial straight stitch machine and a bit of a beast. It's aewsome, but I'm finding myself limited with the straight stitch.

My budget for a new one is up to £350 and so far my research has led me to the Husqvarna Emerald 118; or the Necchi Q132a. I've seen many good things written about the Emerald as I believe it's a fairly established model. However the Necchi is a new one released for this year for their anniversary and I've not seen many user reviews, just a couple from shops selling them.

I like the look of both for the simplicity but robustness, they both have metal chassis and no 'frills'. Mainly I'm making clothes but plan to make jeans and probaby home furnishing projects so I want something that can handle multiple layers of heavy fabric. The Janome Sewist 725s is also in my price range but I don't know much about that one, I think it doesn't have the metal chassis.

Any input much appreciated! Thanks

Efemera

Re: Anyone used Necchi Q132a? Looking for a new machine
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 08:35:59 AM »
The Singer 185 will handle more that many new machines so hang onto that. I’m a Pfaff girl and love the IDT system ( built in dual feed, no need for a walking foot ) you may be better of buying second hand.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 08:54:21 AM »
Sorry, I’ve no experience with Necchi. The sewing teacher at the class I used to go to provided Husqvarna Emerald sewing machines for the class as she felt they were straightforward to use and very reliable. I certainly found it easy to use so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed if you decide to choose that model.

Regarding your current vintage machine. They’re fabulous straight stitchers and easy enough to service so definitely keep it as your spare. However, I’m pretty sure that the term ‘semi-industrial’ is a recently made up term used for marketing purposes to convince people to buy older sewing machines. The clutch motors and gearing on an actual industrial sewing machine are completely different to a domestic sewing machine. Domestic machines can do up to about 1600 stitches per minute at best, whereas an industrial stitches at 5000plus SPM.
I think it’s a bit like calling a 4x4 car a semi-truck, when it bears no real resemblance to a truck at all in terms of power.

However, there are other far more knowledgeable experts on here who might want to correct me if I’m mistaken.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:25 AM »
I have no personal experience of Necchi but last year my neighbour bought a new Necchi overlocker with a high spec description.  It sits in her shed unused and replaced.  I went to try and help her out when she was having problems with it.  It was almost impossible to thread, once threaded it seemed impossible to balance the tension and the stitching was awful. It was an ugly lump and very poorly designed for ease of use if it had been working properly.
For that reason I, personally, wouldnt touch Necchi with a socially distanced bargepole.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
Don't know the Necchi but I do have an Emerald 118 which I love. I have had it about 11 years and it is probably due for a service but I have had no problems with it. It has driven it's way through denim, heavy curtain fabric and PVC without complaint and is still excellent with lightweight fabrics. It makes perfectly acceptable 4 step buttonholes and has my essential feature - the needle up/down facility. There are no electronics to go wrong although the foot control is computerised (I'm sure there's a better term for that but it escapes me at the moment). I read all the descriptions and recommendations on here for other machines but haven't yet seen anything that would tempt me to change.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 10:41:37 AM »
I'm another who have seen them advertised but no experience.

It looks quite a solid machine, stainless steel according to the Amazon website, and a good weight at 8.5kg.  1000 stitches per minute as well.

https://www.betterequipped.co.uk/necchi-q132a-ib417-sewing-machine-45366

32 built in stitches
• One step buttonhole
• Built in needle threader
• Horizontal drop in bobbin system
• Max 1000 rpm sewing speed
• Adjustable stitch length
• Adjustable stitch width
• Adjustable presser foot pressure
• Variable needle positions
• Drop feed

It reminds me a bit of the Janome HD series, which are supposed to be a lot more rugged than the others. There are also a few good reviews of Amazon. I think the term 'semi professional' is used a lot nowadays as a marketing tool.  Just a question of ignoring and looking beyond that.

Husqvarna Emerald 118 is a well known brand/machine and there are many good reviews on it and a few bad ones.

The Janome you mentioned was used in the GBSB program, well known name etc., although this is a lighter model around 6.7 kg

I don't think anyone can make the decision for you, it's just a question of weighing everything up and going with your gut and a guarantee. A bricks and mortar shop might help you.

There are some videos on it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tqfY9DOC00
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
My vote goes for the Emerald 118 if you want a good reliable strong machine you can’t go wrong, they also come with a 5 year guarantee

sshoults

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 14:05:29 PM »
Thanks everyone, it seems the Emerald 118 has quite the fan club! It's probably the sensible choice though I do prefer the look of the Necchi.

I'd love to try some out in a shop but nowhere in London seems to have stock of the Emerald, and none do the Necchi at all. Yesterday I had a go with my sister's new Pfaff ambition, which was all very nice and makes beautiful stitches but it definitely cemented my feeling that I prefer a mechanical machine. It's just more of a sensory experience, the Pfaff had no tactility or feedback - like it was doing it all for you. Which is the idea of course, but it's not for me at this point. Good to have access to it for all those lovely decorative stitches though!   

Celia

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 14:35:02 PM »
You might have a problem finding an Emerald as I know they are out of stock in a lot of places, if you know where you can get one I would snap it up.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 16:53:26 PM »
You might have a problem finding an Emerald as I know they are out of stock in a lot of places, if you know where you can get one I would snap it up.

Oh yes but you have lots of eyes looking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Husqvarna-Viking-Machine-Emerald-118/dp/B0053G3KTY

1 left.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 16:55:09 PM by Gernella »
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »
I had a Necchi about 40 years ago and it was a great machine but I think now the machines are made anywhere and just badged Necchi. Like Ploshkin I would steer well clear and go for the Husqvarna.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 12:46:36 PM »
If/when my trusty Husqvarna 350 dies the Emerald would be high on my list for replacement - enless I could afford a good Juki

I do have an Emerald 118 which I love ...... and has my essential feature - the needle up/down facility. There are no electronics to go wrong

If it's got needle up/down then it has to have some electronics inside it; the up/down is a feature of stepper motors and only comes with electronic control.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

sshoults

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 13:00:19 PM »
Interestingly I have spoken to two sewing machine shops that sell both models an they have both recommended the Necchi over the Emerald. I've yet to find any comments from owners though - apart from the amazon reviews which i don't always trust. My main concern is for the longevity of the Necchi as it's a new model for this year, not tried and tested, where the Emerald clearly is. Fabric Mouse in Darlington have a 28 day return policy though so I could order and try it out.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 13:24:58 PM by sshoults »

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 14:16:06 PM »
@BrendaP , you're right of course about the electronics. What I really meant though was that stitch selection etc is done with nice trusty knobs that turn and click reassuringly - not button pressing and brain straining!