The Sewing Place

The ocean quilt - thank you for your help, it’s finished

Manuela

The ocean quilt - thank you for your help, it’s finished
« on: September 06, 2020, 03:07:11 AM »
After the disaster with the fishy quilt last summer, I still want to make a quilt for the bedroom in Thailand (king size), something that resembles the ocean. I have all kind of blue/teal batik fat quarters, that are just waiting to be assembled into some sort of ombre/gradient pattern.

What I am hankering after is something like this, it would be just perfect

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Or this:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Given that my only successes in quilting (the Hazel Hedgehog and the Mondrian quilts) were achieved when I followed a pattern, I would most definitely need a pattern for this project. I don’t really know where to start looking, there was nothing that really grabbed me when I searched on Etsy.
Any help with the pattern search would be greatly appreciated.
And no, I would even dare to thing about free motion quilting  :faints:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 23:54:55 PM by Manuela »

Syrinx

Re: Help please - looking for a quilting pattern
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 06:22:54 AM »
You could do a bargello, or a twisted bargello like the one in my profile pic.

I'd be happy to run you up a pattern for that when I'm back home (later today), bargello patterns are lovely, lots about too. They work entirelyn gradients of colours for the effect.

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 06:37:56 AM »
Thank you @Syrinx, but that would be far too complex/difficult for me with my current skill set. What I’d absolutely love to achieve it the effect in the first  picture, it would look perfect in our bedroom (in Thailand)....

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 06:55:13 AM »
I am using this pattern for my oarsman quilt. I have eight groups of fabrics arranged in value to form the ombre effect and I choose one from each group to correspond with the numbers. Decide how big you want your quilt and cut the squares accordingly.
If you want to stick to the squares in your first picture it's simply the same plan. Eight groups of fabrics and arrange them across in rows.

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:19:46 AM »
Thanks @wrenkins  :) I came across that pattern, but didn’t like the HST and don’t quite know how to translate that into squares  :thinking: I did however sort my fabrics into 8 groups from dark to light using a red filter...  :angel:

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
I have never seen a pattern like this @wrenkins. Looks like a quilt-by-numbers. Are there others of a similar ilk?

Syrinx

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 08:04:20 AM »
Bargellos (not twisted!) are actually quite easy, just cut a lot of strips, sew together so you have a big row of strips, then turn 90 degrees and cut strips of desired size so you have strips made up of squares. Pull one strip down a square so each colour is on the diagonal. Pick the colour square to be the bottom. Unpick the seam to any squares below that and pop them at the top of the strip (this fills in the gap at the top) and then sew the strips together. Voila! Bargello. Much much easier than they look. And work on gradient colours. Twisted ones are harder because you have to mess with width of strips instead of making them all the same.

Best way to get your gradient right is a grayscale photo to check values.

I may join the mugrug with a tiny bargello, depends on time.

I can do a better with pictures explanation later today on the computer if you like.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 08:06:50 AM »
I've no idea @Puzzler. I just know that I can't do random and I certainly couldn't do ombre. I would have stripes and no graduation.
I'm not placing my HSTs willy nilly. I'll place them in a chevron setting to look like wavelets and bow waves and wake. That's the plan.  :S
@Manuela don't cut you squares in half.  0_0 TaDah! No HSTs.  :laughing: Once you start you'll find yourself thinking...'oh do you know what I could do....'  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
@Syrinx, you lost me at 90 degrees, I really need visuals and instructions....  :faints:
@wrenkins, just when I thought I might get it, you have me confused again. I really am thick when it comes to quilting  :headbang: hence me request to help me find a pattern.
It looks like the dream of doing something like in the first picture is not achievable and I really don’t like HST. Back to square 1  :facepalm:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 08:16:34 AM »
@Manuela the first one is called variously Coins, Stacked Coins or most frequently,  Chinese Coins. It's commonly done by using jelly rolls, the 2.5 inch wide strips sold together in a colorway. It would be easy enough to with yardage. The strips are sewn together then cut into the long narrow stacks. There are lots of patterns and online instruction. Here's a little video that will give you an idea.

The second one is simple but I  don't know if there is a pattern per se. It's made from 8.5 inch squares with a top and bottom border each made from a quarter yard of fabric. We could invent a  pattern for you. We'd just need to know the size of the bed. I know UK and US sizes aren't the same.

I love the idea of it. Tranquil, peaceful and related to the surroundings. Nice.

I can't do bargello quilts. Too fussy for me.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 08:19:08 AM »
@Manuela the first quilt is considered an easy beginner quilt. It is well within your abilities.  <3
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Stitches

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
I found this on Etsy. It gives lots of sizes up to king. It's just squares sewn together in rows.  :)

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
Thank you @Renegade Sewist & @Stitches, now it makes a lot more sense, phew. I bookmarked the video and the tutorial  :thumbsup:

maliw

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
Just had a look at @Stitches post, it resembles your first piccy, you could use that tut with your fabrics from dark to light to give you the ombre effect you want.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula