The Sewing Place

Spectacular Senior Style

Marniesews

Spectacular Senior Style
« on: September 08, 2020, 00:52:53 AM »
I do hope this woman is a sewer as this couple's outfits are just wonderful and the colour schemes are superb. Of course it could be the man but his history is covered a little in the article and there's no mention of it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

Re: Spectacular Senior Style
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:32:16 AM »
Fabulous...

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:36:44 AM »
They look beautiful  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:36:57 AM »
What a joyful couple.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 08:52:44 AM »
If she's a sewer she's probably a milliner as well. Oh to have the lifestyle to warrant dressing like that. I think even in my life though I could somewhere fit in the white trouser suit, the tapestry dress, the jacket with the frog fastenings and the gold and orange trouser suit.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 09:13:00 AM »
 :S
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
I have seen this couple before.
There is a man who has a FB page called Advanced Style and, I think, has also published a book about the people he photographs.

Must admit my usual thought is - not so easy to dress 'stylish' when you are coping with wind, rain etc.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 09:36:28 AM »
I think I agree with Lowena   :S

If that's what they are happy with, they have the wherewithall to source those outfits that's great.  Also they are both fit and active, very good, but there's nothing in their wardrobe that I especially like, and all of those pictures look like staged photoshots.   
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 09:46:23 AM »
I'm not entirely sure some of those outfits, splendid though they are, would be terribly practical for walking our woofbags round muddy country lanes.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Are you familiar with the blog and book Advanced Style by Ari Seth Cohen? They've been featured on his blog and are on the cover of his book  Advanced Love.

Sorry, not a sewist or milliner. Just wealthy people who have spent years on Berlin's social scene. She was a  professional dancer and later owned one of Berlin's hottest clubs. He was a chef later turned model and stylist. Both work as professional models.

Most of the people featured on Advanced Style don't wear their fabulous curated clothes all the time. I'm not sure about these two. It would seem they spend a great deal of time being the life of the party and a lot of time posing for cameras. Great work if you can get it.

It's eccentric as it's tremendously far from mainstream. It works in a major city like Berlin,  London or New York where Ari shoots most of his people. They all have big cultural arts scenes, public functions, galleries, symphonies etc that are showcases for the well dressed or affluent. It's hard to pull off in small town anywhere, you just become the town weirdo. It's also easier to pull off with a pal who can be your partner in crime. Much easier to put on your wonderful costumey ensemble and head to lunch at a sidewalk cafe with a friend knowing cameras will be clicking then heading off to the grocers by yourself to pick up another bag of cat litter.

I absolutely love seeing these photos and various street style photos of young and old alike wearing carefully assembled clothes. I've started meeting a few of the local equivalent but with just 600,000 in a changing urban environment where many people still live in a cow town it's a strange experience.

I knew one lady who was in her 80s when we met who color coordinated her outfits. One orange based creation took her over 30 years to properly complete.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
I think she may have been a model?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 09:53:17 AM »
Still is. BTW, her Facebook page is one of the strangest ones I've visited. Eccentric and unique both apply.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
I couldn't be twinned with anyone nicer @Gernella .....and.....we have excellent taste :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 10:31:29 AM »
Of course, you are not going to find such people walking around a provincial backwater full of cheap fast food places, betting shops and 'value' stores.  They brought me a little bit of cheer on a dull morning and I refuse to be po-faced about it.