The Sewing Place

Spectacular Senior Style

Kwaaked

Re: Spectacular Senior Style
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2020, 02:30:58 AM »
I like the detail of the trim along the princess seam leading into a pleat. I might try that next time I sew a shoulder princess style.

The neckline though looks dated/60s and IME not particularly comfortable to wear.

I have linebacker shoulders, so bateau necklines are fine for my own figure but in wear and design, the black dress slightly scooped neckline is what it is.

BriarRose

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2020, 02:42:26 AM »
Particularly like #12, the halo hat and the hanbock-inspired dress.

They look like they are having great fun dressing up, and I had fun looking at their photos.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2020, 06:05:09 AM »
Particularly like #12, the halo hat and the hanbock-inspired dress.

They look like they are having great fun dressing up, and I had fun looking at their photos.

@BriarRose since I watch Korean period drama daily my poor little "woke" brain kept alternating between loving the Hanbok look and cringing at the cultural appropriation of it. Since what these two wear is very costumey and very posed for the cameras, as this is what they do for apparently both fun and profit I kept thinking of a phrase I see more and more often. "My culture is not your costume." I just can't do it anymore. I'd love a little jacket like that but where I would wear it I'd stand a good chance of getting called out for it. Plenty of other fashion choices to make.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Puzzler

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2020, 06:53:05 AM »
I couldn't be twinned with anyone nicer @Gernella .....and.....we have excellent taste :ninja:

I must be the long lost triplet then.  :ninja:

The yellow dunce cap looking hat...? No. Just no.

Syrinx

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 08:57:04 AM »
I have such problems with the whole cultural appropriation thing. Went to an international boarding school and plenty of friends from across Asia whose dress style I loved but I'm so wary of making something and being called out for appropriating.
I have a book of modern Japanese patterns and I've asked a friend in Seoul to find me similar so that even if I never make any of it I can still appreciate them. Though when I visit next I may end up buying stuff

Greybird

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 09:23:36 AM »
I think it's absolutely daft. To begin with, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - isn't it? Then, nobody thinks twice about  people from other cultures, who have come to live here, wearing the same clothes we do. Should someone who originated in another (warmer) part of the the world not be able to wear a winter coat or a raincoat lest they be thought to be culturally appropriating our national dress? It works both ways.

Nobody "owns" style. Everything goes into the melting pot in the same way that our homes have influences from France, Scandinavia, the far East and Africa.

UttaRetch

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »
... since I watch Korean period drama daily my poor little "woke" brain kept alternating between loving the Hanbok look and cringing at the cultural appropriation of it.

The hanbok grated with me too and I agree with the 'My culture is not your costume' stance.

wrenkins

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 09:58:36 AM »
I whole heartedly agree. @Greybird.
Moccasins, jodhpurs, anorak, parka.... Really?!?!?!? It's yet one more path upon which the army of the perpetually offended marches.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »
You forgot pyjamas @wrenkins !

UttaRetch

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
@wrenkins, no it's not.  A blouse, skirt, dress or trousers of some form or another are items worn the world over for thousands of years, BUT some garments have ceremonial and cultural significance that says who you are and even the very tribe from which you stem. 

I would no more wear a sari than I would a kimono since those garments are not my story or history.  Sometimes a dress is not just a dress.

Greybird

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »
I can see this going on and on and probably isn't the best idea. I agree that ceremonial, tribal significance could be a sensitive issue for some, but like most things these days it grows and snowballs into enveloping absolutely everything in it's path. Nobody wants to be deliberately offensive, but it has reached the point where it's difficult to say or do anything for fear of offending and the offended seem to have much louder voices - perhaps they could be a little more understanding about unintentional "transgressions". We all have to get along with each other in this world.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
I must be the long lost triplet then.  :ninja:

The yellow dunce cap looking hat...? No. Just no.

I've looked at other photos elsewhere and she also has access to it in a pearl white and pale green editions.  ;)

My gut tells me a lot of these pieces are more props than her actual wardrobe.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
Yes. All that. Very eloquent thank you @Greybird.
42 years in the ultimate multi-cultural working environment means we have all muddled through together sometimes offending but always discussing and learning and, if necessary, apologising.
We had one international incident in the tea room when a senior member of staff pointed out the price labels on someone's shoes. What he didn't know was that, as she was from Saudi Arabia and shoes have a whole culture of insult, she would go off like a rocket!  :o She went off again when one of the younger men came sauntering in and flung himself on the seat beside her. That was another no-no apparently. She nearly got herself killed stepping out into traffic because where she came from vehicles stopped for women crossing. It was a steep learning curve for everyone.  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2020, 13:00:10 PM »
Okay, this is my last thought on this controversial drift.  Cultural appropriation is a thing and people need to educate themselves rather than being offended and making generalisations.  Clothing is not just things that you put on the body.

Kwaaked

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2020, 13:57:45 PM »
I swear the hat is a Schiaparelli design from the late 30s-40s.