The Sewing Place

Spectacular Senior Style

Renegade Sewist

Re: Spectacular Senior Style
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2020, 19:34:53 PM »
I swear the hat is a Schiaparelli design from the late 30s-40s.

@Kwaaked I wouldn't be surprised although it also reminds me of some fashion ads from the late 50s to early 60s. Most of her garments look vintage, or dated, depending on how one looks at this sort of thing. I'd say classic except most of this is more avant garde.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2020, 19:39:35 PM »
Okay, this is my last thought on this controversial drift.  Cultural appropriation is a thing and people need to educate themselves rather than being offended and making generalisations.  Clothing is not just things that you put on the body.

@UttaRetch I wanted you to know that you are on my hero list again this month. Thank you for these beautiful words.  <3

sewingj

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2020, 19:55:03 PM »
Okay, this is my last thought on this controversial drift.  Cultural appropriation is a thing and people need to educate themselves rather than being offended and making generalisations.  Clothing is not just things that you put on the body.
@UttaRetch I am really interested in what you say but I don't know how to learn more. There's no way I would wear something that I recognise as having religious significance ( a nun's habit is an extreme example) but when it comes to clothing which originates from other cultures I have no idea which are sensitive and which are not.   How do I educate myself?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2020, 20:49:44 PM »
@sewingj you read and you listen with an open mind and heart.

I learned a lot in University as I got a degree in art history. Sounds airy fairy I know but the actuality is to understand the art of a people you have to learn all about them. Religion and spiritual beliefs, social structure, history, climate, food availability, geography and how they inform and shape each other. I know more about the Catholic Church than most of my Catholic friends.

Reading about different religions is a good place to start. Search "cultural appropriation" and understand what is meant by that. One online dictionary definition that I think is well worded is this:

the adoption or co-opting, usually without acknowledgment, of cultural identity markers associated with or originating in minority communities by people or communities with a relatively privileged status.

My main research stemmed from a big brouhaha on PR a couple of years ago regarding kimono. I spent days and hours reading, from bipoc instagrammers to the writings of college professors, news articles, and people passionate about the concept including those who believe they can do whatever they want whenever they want and "you can't stop me!"

It can be enlightening. My Native American ancestors were something to be ashamed of in white society in the 1930s so when my mom asked about her great grandmother she was told to be quiet, we don't talk about that. How pitiful that seems now. My personal take away from the research is that I'm actually biracial. That had never crossed my mind before.

Last night I listened to a livestream on tictok of a young Native American hoop dancer who was explaining the difference between cultural appreciation and appropriation. A lot of his videos are gentle and kind ways of educating non Natives about appropriation.

Thank you for caring about appropriation.

BriarRose

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2020, 23:10:47 PM »
@BriarRose since I watch Korean period drama daily my poor little "woke" brain kept alternating between loving the Hanbok look and cringing at the cultural appropriation of it. Since what these two wear is very costumey and very posed for the cameras, as this is what they do for apparently both fun and profit I kept thinking of a phrase I see more and more often. "My culture is not your costume." I just can't do it anymore. I'd love a little jacket like that but where I would wear it I'd stand a good chance of getting called out for it. Plenty of other fashion choices to make.

I appreciate your viewpoint and sentiments though I don't agree wholeheartedly with them. I have been "called out" for teaching Yemenite Jewish Embroidery (by a "woke" non-Yemenite Jew) since I am not a Yemenite Jew myself. I have also been invited to teach traditional Yemenite Jewish Embroidery at a cultural gathering of Yemenite Jews because there was no one in the group who knew how to do it, nor did they know anyone who knew how to do it.

When Korean designers like Lee Young Hee sell hanbok-inspired clothing as well as genuine hanboks to western customers then pose with them wearing the same, are the designers guilty of some sort of cultural faux pas or is this acceptable cultural exchange?
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2020, 01:14:23 AM »
I think it depends on the sentiment of your local community.

We should probably start another thread if we wanted to delve into this topic more deeply. It is not a straight and simple road.

BriarRose

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2020, 20:41:08 PM »
Don't start one for my sake. After forty+ years of being involved with Middle Eastern dance, I have listened to people go on about the subject of cultural appropriation, both sides and middle, until I'd just as soon talk about something else.

A friend and her husband delight in wearing costumes and attending everything from Dickens Festivals to Steampunk conventions. Anything to make something fun and get to show it off. There use to be a couple of older (eighties/nineties) ladies in town who always dressed like they were headed to a soiree or an opera. Seeing one of them made my day, and if these German folks ever care to come to the high plains of Wyoming, I'll look forward to seeing them, too.

Along the same lines is Tziporrah Salamon who I did meet at a mutual friend's house one time. She gave a one woman fashion show that was fascinating and funny. Tziporrah

It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Catllar

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2020, 23:11:40 PM »
I've been dancing flamenco for years, so  should I not do it nor  wear Spanish  dress ? Or are we not just developing and sharing the knowledge of the culture?

In Japan we see l people hiring Japanese dress  in order to be  "Geisha for a day"  Cultural appropriation or commercial sense?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Manuela

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2020, 23:56:45 PM »
Love Tziporah’s site, thank you for the link @BriarRose. Good to know that I’m not the only one colour coordinating their bicycle with their wardrobe - my bike (e-bike) is bright pink though  :thumbsup:

Sewot

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 08:34:49 AM »
I've been dancing flamenco for years, so  should I not do it nor  wear Spanish  dress ? Or are we not just developing and sharing the knowledge of the culture?

In Japan we see l people hiring Japanese dress  in order to be  "Geisha for a day"  Cultural appropriation or commercial sense?
@Catllar ..
Big wow.
You have scored millions by saying that you dance flamenco.
Always wanted a Flamenco wife but it never happened.
I just LOVE authentic flamenco.
I can play a reasonable Alegrias and Solea but the Bulerias is hard for me.
I love watching Carmen Amaya dance.
She was hot stuff!!
Phew.
You have just made my day.
Pete

Catllar

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 16:56:30 PM »
@Catllar ..
Big wow.
You have scored millions by saying that you dance flamenco.
Always wanted a Flamenco wife but it never happened.
I just LOVE authentic flamenco.
I can play a reasonable Alegrias and Solea but the Bulerias is hard for me.
I love watching Carmen Amaya dance.
She was hot stuff!!

Phew.
You have just made my day.
Pete

Glad to have bought you some cheer Pete! How do you get on with Seguriya? Have you tried it? Wicked timing!  Bulerias is a devil due to the speed and the occasional demi-compas that drops in when you least expect it. Keep at it, you'll get there! Olé !! Eso es! Con mucho arte!!

I take your note about wanting a flamenco wife - I'll see if I can find anyone -any other requirements?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 16:59:55 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !