The Sewing Place

Should have listened to grandma and saved some money and disappointment

Marniesews

I like frixion pens but they don't always mark lycra that well I've bought a few different chalk wheel markers over the last few years but not been entirely satisfied by one. The Prym one was dreadful - lumpy uneven line.

In the end, I plumped for a Japanese Chakoner which is very good but also by far the most expensive of the lot. I've used it a couple of times but simply couldn't find it when I needed it yesterday for black cotton lawn. I'm a champion mislayer of sewing stuff at any time, even when it's in plain sight...so, in desperation knowing the chaco pen wouldn't survive the handling, I dashed up to the bathroom and grabbed a sliver of soap that I'd meant to throw away last week  :| and used that - don't know why I'm so absurdly thrifty with soap particularly but I am. Disposal, not usage I hasten to add!!!

I've known about using soap slivers for marking fabric for some years so why have I never tried it?  :headbang:  I probably thought it wouldn't be easy to wipe off but I was wrong. It takes a bit more brushing than chalk but I couldn't see a residue (yes, even with my reading glasses on) and the quality of line is perfect with a nice thin sliver. 

It's the best thing I've ever used. DH uses hand wash a lot but I'm hiding that until I've got a nice stock of slivers.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

Re: Should have listened to grandma and saved some money and disappointment
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:25:12 AM »
... there’s an idea, there’s a bit in the bathroom soap dish!

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 09:29:40 AM »
I've used soap slivers for marking for years :thumbsup:
I had a nice collection in a tin which has been mislaid in the sewing room reorganisation earlier this summer :(

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
Good tip, thank you @Marniesews and Marniesews gran!

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
 Excellent idea- thanks for the tip! 0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 12:35:33 PM »
Great idea. I don’t think I’ve got any soap but my mum uses it! 

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »
For the most part I cant get soap to work, but I have a soapstone pencil that my great grandma used.

My grandmother was all about the chalk.  I use that if I don't thread baste or tailor tack.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »
I only started buying liquid soap again when all my adopted nevoos and nieces grew up and stopped pumping the liquid stuff. They loved it!  :rolleyes: I have one small sliver. I must put it somewhere safe.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 16:25:31 PM »
I love soap slivers for use on dark fabrics, find them very handy.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
When I was little, we didn't have much money so my mum was v frugal.  She would save up all the slivers of soap and when she had enough would make a new bar of soap by melting them in a clean tin can in a saucepan of water on the hob!  I personally couldn't be bothered with that now but will defo save them for fabric marking.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:43:17 AM by Missie »

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 10:21:03 AM »
Way back in the late 60's I did a Tailoring course and was introduced to Wax Chalk, this was shaped exactly like the tailor's chalk that was used but was so different.  Once a line was drawn it stayed put until this got removed by the iron.  I only have a tiny piece left which is a shame.  At that time a very enterprising haberdashery shop in a nearby village got on the bandwagon and started stocking all the bits and pieces we used in that class, like this waxed tailors chalk, linen stay tape,  something called Shrunk Duck this was a lovely linen interfacing - sadly all these things are now almost impossible to get anyway.

Then a few years ago I found a shop that used to stock all manner of items, but these were not immediately seen as they were hidden away in drawers and cupboards, and I came across some other form of wax chalk, only this time this was an oblong shape and seems to have a slight glitter in it.  The only way of finding that this shop had all sorts of weird and wonderful items was to ask if they could order something for you, and the reply was 'Oh we have some of that' and into the various cupboards and drawers they would go.  Sadly again the oblongs of this chalk do not have any name stamped on them which is a great pity.  Also the shop no longer exists.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »
@Missie my mum used to do that too.  We didn’t have a lot of money either. 

Kwaaked

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 13:55:37 PM »
@Elnnina shame about postage and such because I have an entire box of it I will never use you can have.

Elnnina

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Kwaaked  thank you for such a lovely thought but as you say the postage etc. would be prohibitive, and then of course the Customs would want their share.  But it does show that these sorts of products did exist - so why are they so hard to come by now.

Kwaaked

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 11:50:06 AM »
Here, you can buy them from Wawak, which is where I got mine.