The Sewing Place

Should have listened to grandma and saved some money and disappointment

Acorn

Re: Should have listened to grandma and saved some money and disappointment
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 12:57:57 PM »
@Elnnina Amazon has this and this.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 14:28:20 PM »
Acorn, thank you for finding that but I really only want white.  I believe there is always a chance that the colours would not remove totally, which could totally be a disaster.  Thanks for looking though.

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 17:47:06 PM »
I believe there is always a chance that the colours would not remove totally, which could totally be a disaster.
I've seen several warnings to be aware that it can leave a grease stain upon removal rather than colour stain on some fabrics. I've avoided it as a result when the sensible thing is just to test it beforehand of course.  :rolleyes: I am very forgetful though so that may be part of it too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lilian

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 22:42:34 PM »
Would white waxed garment chalk be what you're looking for @Elnnina
Willing but not always able :)

Elnnina

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »
Thank you Lilian for finding that, this looks very similar the the shape and colour of the unknown white wax chalk I have the one that looks like pieces of glitter are in it.  I have bookmarked this for future reference.

My little piece of wax chalk left over from the 60's is not a solid white, it is  sort of transparent, but that really is not the right word, it is so precious that I am very sparing with it.  When I was doing the tailoring course, we had to make a sampler which consisted of half a back of a jacket, so top half of the back so that we could fit a collar on, and I was using a dark grey piece of flannel and this wax chalk showed up beautifully.  It is such a shame that certain things we have used and loved have totally disappeared - why when they worked so well.

PollyWally

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 03:04:31 AM »
@Elnnina There are quite a few different types of fabric marking options here. Hancock's Garment marking

Elnnina

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »
PollyWally thank you so much for that information, and now I have seen those boxes of chalk, they do seem similar to the white chalk that seems to glitter came from.  They mention the wax chalk came in natural, so whilst I couldn't describe my small piece yesterday, I will now say it is natural, it is almost transparent.