The Sewing Place

Greist Buttonholer

Manuela

Re: Greist Buttonholer
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »
@badgermat, you may want to check if you need an adapter though. I know you’d need an adapter when you want to use the buttonholer on a Bernina (Bernina to low shank adapter) not sure about Bernette. As Roget said, the template creates the teardrop/keyhole for you, all you to is to admire this little marvel of mechanical engineering.

badgermat

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 09:02:57 AM »
@badgermat, you may want to check if you need an adapter though. I know you’d need an adapter when you want to use the buttonholer on a Bernina (Bernina to low shank adapter) not sure about Bernette.

Oh wisdom, you always arrive just a moment too late :)

As it goes, I've already thrown caution to the wind and purchased the Greist. If my optimism turns out to be misplaced, well that's another life lesson that I really should have learned over the last five decades.

bm

Starryfish

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 11:45:54 AM »
I just looked on ebay for one of these devices. There was one from Canada cost about £6 with £53 postage. :faints:
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Efemera

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 16:02:28 PM »
It’s on it’s way @badgermat ....

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 19:19:45 PM »
I'll get a scan (or photos) of my manual tomorrow when I go to the shop.

badgermat

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 01:16:12 AM »
I'll get a scan (or photos) of my manual tomorrow when I go to the shop.

I am now the proud owner of a vintage Greist buttonholer (thanks Efemera), but have no clue how to set it up.

If the offer of a scan of your manual is still open, I'd love to take it up.

Thanks

bm

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2020, 07:52:58 AM »
The Singer Featherweight Shop have a good video of one being used
Life's too short for ironing.

Roger

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
I just looked on ebay for one of these devices. There was one from Canada cost about £6 with £53 postage. :faints:

Hi @Starryfish
they can be found for less than that they're just usually miss listed and theres usually a fair few on ebay,
Happy to help if you're interested.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
I am now the proud owner of a vintage Greist buttonholer (thanks Efemera), but have no clue how to set it up.

If the offer of a scan of your manual is still open, I'd love to take it up.

Thanks

bm

Theyre very straightforward, you slide the bottom towards you slip in the template and turn the big dial on the top until everything is at it lowest point and then test it to check placement and youre good to go... more or less:

here is also a copy of my manual for an older model:
Manual link

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Greybird

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »
@Roger I have been reading this thread with interest. Do you know if I would be able to use one of these with my Husqvarna Emerald 118? The feet for it just clip on and off.

I thought that, when my bank account is looking a bit healthier, I might possibly treat myself!

Roger

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 13:27:42 PM »
@Greybird

I'm inclined to say probably no, because they are usually configured for standard low shank machines, and occasionally for slant shanks. However if you have a low shank adapter then it should work with that.

Otherwise I have heard of people getting a handcrank 99/66/201 specifically to attach one of these to for making buttonholes.

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 15:35:29 PM »
Ah! I don't know if I have a low shank adapter - will have to research that. I wouldn't mind getting another machine for it, but I have nowhere to put it. As it is, the bookcase in our, very small, dining room has a sewing machine one side of it and an overlocker the other side. Woe betide any guest who wants to push their chair back!

Thank you @Roger !

badgermat

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 22:12:45 PM »
Theyre very straightforward, you slide the bottom towards you slip in the template and turn the big dial on the top until everything is at it lowest point and then test it to check placement and youre good to go... more or less:

here is also a copy of my manual for an older model:
Manual link

Brilliant, thanks heaps.

bm

badgermat

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 22:16:05 PM »
The Singer Featherweight Shop have a good video of one being used

I'll take a look, thanks.

bm