The Sewing Place

Old Brother sewing machine

Ellabella

Old Brother sewing machine
« on: September 10, 2020, 20:09:43 PM »
I’ve been after a machine for DD to use, no bells and whistles, just strong and solid.

I’ve just acquired this and all I can say is if she doesn’t want it I’m keeping it.

It’s got a manual and lots of feet, just got to hope it runs.

I hope her table is strong it weighs a ton.

I’m guessing it’s from the 60s but I can’t find a model number and the front of the manual is missing.

Is there anything special I need to know?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 20:12:16 PM by Ellabella »

Gernella

Re: Old Brother sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
That looks very like my old Brother from 1966. A very solid machine that weighed a ton.  The only stitch it did apart from the straight stitch, was a zig zag by moving  the screws at the top. I don't even remember it having any feet or whether it had different needle positions.

It did me very nicely up to 1992 when I got my first computer machine.  At the time I was moaning because it wouldn't sew properly but I suspect it wasn't threaded correctly because when I set it up to gift in 2008/9, it set off like a rocket without even the benefit of any oil, a perfect stitch.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

Re: Old Brother sewing machine
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Threaded it up last night, goes like a train!

It’s got a beautiful stitch, lovely and even. I know my SIL is planning a couple of projects with some fairly robust fabrics so it should be ideal.

Today’s job is defluffing, oiling and hunting for a LED bulb as the one that is on gets a little bit warm.