The Sewing Place

Short sleeves rolling up

Bodgeitandscarper

Short sleeves rolling up
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
the last top I made I cut the sleeves quite a lot shorter than I normally have, but now I've worn it, I find the sleeves keep rolling up.  Is this because they are a bit tight do you think?  Or because the armholes are quite small?
Pic of top, but not with sleeves rolling up...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

jintie

Re: Short sleeves rolling up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
Maybe this fabric has less give than the last top?
Rottweiler with scissors

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »
I think like @jintie it may be because there is less stretch.  You can test it against the last top to see!   
Annoying isn’t it?   You think you’ve got the pattern just right and then you use something different and It messes you right up.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:30:12 PM »
That's a thought, but actually, checking other tops (I've made a lot of these!), it isn't a lot different.  It does however have no vertical give, but then so have some of the other fabrics I've used.

So, do I have to cut more, longer sleeves, or maybe try a cuff, or cut some more wider sleeves.  I think I have enough fabric left, but need to check.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
I have no technical knowledge whatsoever but bearing in mind the hem of the top is a bit 'floaty' I'd be inclined to make larger fluted sleeves.
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

coffeeandcake

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 13:03:10 PM »
I think the shorter sleeve combined with the sleeve hem being a little tight may be the issue.  I really like the fabric btw.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 13:04:44 PM »
I'd say sleeves need a bit more room.  I tend to use the same sleeve pattern on every top I do, from a Palmer Pletsch pattern.   Nice top/tunic, I like the pockets.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 13:53:21 PM »
What about unpicking the sleeve seam just right up to the armhole and inserting a gusset or panel as it seems to fit around the armhole and the sleeve width seems to be the issue...

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 14:05:32 PM »
I agree that the sleeves appear to be a bit tight.

Either bodge it with an insert  in the underarm seam, or, if you have enough fabric cut new sleeves that are a bit wider all the way down.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 14:13:49 PM »
Tongue in cheek this - thread some elastic through the hem?

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 16:27:07 PM »
Do the sleeves have narrow hems?
I find that can make them roll up.  I've got a couple of t shirts I've made with very short or cap sleeves so I did a narrow hem and the sleeves on both tend to roll up.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 17:50:41 PM »
I know you say there isn’t a lot of difference in this fabric compared to others you have used but it wouldn’t take a lot just to make them a bit tighter.  I’d be inclined to cut another pair and make them wider if you have enough fabric. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 18:52:31 PM »
Thanks for all your thoughts.  As we're off on our jollies again on Sunday, I doubt I'll have time to sort it til we're back.  I may try the insert in the sleeve seam first I think.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »
I've finally got back to this - I got the sleeve pattern piece and made a large bicep adjustment new sleeve pattern from it, then found I haven't got enough fabric left, so I've cut two cuffs instead to make them longer.  Although I'm now debating the bodgeit method of adding gussets to the seams...