The Sewing Place

Ottobre pattern grainline

annieeg

Ottobre pattern grainline
« on: September 12, 2020, 17:31:00 PM »
I'm Trying to trace off a pattern and cannot locate the grain line for the sleeve piece  :scream:
If I fold the sleeve pattern in half along the length would that fold/crease be safe to use as a grain line when cutting out in fabric?
TIA
Annie

Ohsewsimple

Re: Ottobre pattern grainline
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 17:45:13 PM »
Have you looked at the small scaled patterns in the book?  Grain lines are marked on there so would give you some idea of where it should be just in case it’s a pun unusual shaped sleeve or hemline.   

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 18:25:31 PM »
Which pattern is it? Ottobre often run their grain lines from the hem up rather than from the sleeve cap down. If you look at the schematic of the pattern pieces in the instructions, these will show where all the markings are.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:29:21 AM »
I found the Grainline (it was coming up from the hemline) thank you. 
I'm wondering if there's a trick to training the eye to follow the different pattern pieces as the diagrams are really hard to identify as they are all overlaid on one another - sometimes in the same colour! 
Should I outline the ones I need in yet another different colour felt pen before tracing them off?
I'm using pi-dy transparent "foil" sheets which I can see thru quite easily. 
Any tips ( @dolcevita ) very much appreciated.
Annie

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
I find it helpful to put a dot on corners, such as armhole/side seam, side seam/hem, and so on. This gives me something to aim for as I'm tracing out longer seams and is useful when there are multiple lines overlapping.
I know some people like to use a highlighter pen on the lines of the piece they are tracing, but I'm not sure how good this is if you want several patterns from the same sheet.
Good luck!

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 13:40:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip.   The first toile is a WIP and a photo will follow in due course :thumbsup:

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 17:31:59 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Here's some pictures of the toile so far.  You'll notice the gathering needs fixing on the RHS of the front, but I can do that easily. 
This went together so easily, I will definitely do more of their patterns - its worth the struggle to trace off.
@Tamnymore - this is the £2 a metre viscose (polyester?) from Imanuels FB shop.
@dolcevita - now I know why you like the Ottobre patterns 0_0
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 17:42:43 PM by annieeg »

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 17:45:47 PM »
more pics of Ottobre toile
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 18:55:05 PM »
Great pattern and fabric @annieeg ! I'm wearing a bit of Immanuels' finest today myself.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

annieeg

Re: Ottobre pattern
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 17:35:10 PM »
Here's the finished toile  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 17:40:57 PM »
I didn't do the cuffs or collar - just made a casing and elastic in the sleeves and used a bit of stabilised tape and bias binding on the neck.
Would most definitely make it again with cuffs and perhaps make  the front slightly longer.   Not sure about the collar as I'm not a great fan of collars.
My next project from the magazine is a dress.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 17:51:59 PM »
I didn't do the cuffs or collar - just made a casing and elastic in the sleeves...

That's what I did with the StyleArc Jules, which is a very similar pattern.  I did it because I was making a toile, but I will do the same when I get round to making the real thing because I greatly prefer the sleeves like that - they fit well, look nice and feel comfortable.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

dolcevita

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 23:17:45 PM »
A great toile - nice work, @annieeg .

I'm a big fan of Ottobre - consistent drafting and sizes and just so wearable. I'm planning on making a few of the vest top and the weird jumper thing with the funnel neck once I've got a couple of other things done.

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 00:05:21 AM »
Great pattern and fabric @annieeg ! I'm wearing a bit of Immanuels' finest today myself.

I had some of that exact same "viscose" polyester from Immanuels.  Bought to make into a nightie, which is fine if it's not too warm, but proper viscose would have been better!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 08:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. 
@dolcevita I like the funnel neck top also but I think it needs quite a bulky fabric in order to hold the shape ?
And I would like to make it longer .
I think another toile is on the cards at some point.