The Sewing Place

Pandemic bag

Vezelay

Pandemic bag
« on: September 13, 2020, 22:18:06 PM »
I wanted a small cross body bag to fit a mask, sanitiser, car keys, phone and mini wallet, so made this last week. It does the job and I've worn it a couple of times already. The main compartment  is a tad narrow for fishing things out but otherwise I'm pleased. The zipped pocket has a gusset - using the linlng fabric - so it fits more than you'd think. I didn't have the right size strap slider so I added a couple of snap fasteners to make it adjustable.

This is the pattern https://sewmodernbags.com/the-minimalist-cross-body-bag-sewing-pattern/.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is the larger of the two pattern sizes So the smaller one must be very small indeed!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 22:22:40 PM by Vezelay »

Lilian

Re: Pandemic bag
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 22:26:57 PM »
That's really good @Vezelay I like it a lot.  I have been mulling over making something like this for when I walk the dog  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Puzzler

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »
I downloaded this free pattern and would like to make it eventually.

https://swoonpatterns.com/shop/ramona-mini-hipster/

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 08:13:53 AM »
Lovely little bag.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:27:35 AM »
Ah, thank you @Vezelay   and @Puzzler   for the patterns!  I had thought about something like that for when I venture out - somehow handbags seem too unnecessary at the moment.   I love yours @Vezelay  , it's very pretty. 

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 10:45:15 AM »
@Vezelay that's a snazzy little bag. I lurve small bags that sit between your udders, so convenient.

My tip for lining bags is to use a pale colour fabric, it's easier to find whatever's inside  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Great idea, I need a masculine version for my OH. Whenever I ask if he's got this, that or the other, prior to going out, he often says, 'Oh, I don't need that'. This actually means 'I don't need to bring one of those, I can use yours'. This includes items such as house keys, phone, and now sanitizer and masks. Enough, I say! Get your own stuff! I shan't go further with my moaning as it will need to go onto the rant thread, but suffice to say that it's time for OH to have a pandemic man bag.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
I prefer a bag with a waist strap - it doesn't flop forwards when I bend over.  With the addition of hand gel and masks to the list of essentials, and with the new phone being quite a bit bigger than the old one I agree that a really small bag is no longer fit for purpose.

Terry nearly always wears trousers/shorts with cargo pockets.  Horrid things to try and iron, but they do accommodate all the essentials. :S
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »
@dolcevita Mike has got a bag.  It’s bigger than most of mine and he usually carts around more than I do!   :)

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 20:34:30 PM »
MrC has a man bag, but then an awful lot of french men carry them. It's a leather shoulder bag style and god knows what he has in it - weighs a ton!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 21:34:35 PM »

I’ve made a few of these now as they’re really easy, no zips required and my phone slides neatly in the front pocket. I also don’t bother with a full purse but a simply sewn zipped purse for notes and cards.

(I think our American friends call purses wallets?)

https://youtu.be/1MGQvjet_Io