The Sewing Place

Paper fusible interfacing?

Emerion

Paper fusible interfacing?
« on: October 18, 2021, 16:38:02 PM »
Hello,

My local sewing shop, which I like to support if I can, has only what they called “paper fusible interfacing”. The instructions for the zippered pouch that I want to sew state that I should use woven fabric fusible interfacing. I’ve done a bit of research, and can’t decide if there is a good reason to not use the paper stuff. Will it survive washing in the future? I was planning to wash my fabric first, but assumed that anything with glue on it shouldn’t be washed, so maybe not the interfacing?
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

dolcevita

Re: Paper fusible interfacing?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 17:59:37 PM »
Fusibles normally have washing instructions with them (the roll/package) and the shop itself should be able to advise whether you can launder the interfacing or not. I haven't come across paper interfacing before, it would be interesting to know what it is.

A quick google came up with paper-backed interfacing - could they mean this?

Emerion

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 18:01:46 PM »
I expect that’s what he meant @dolcevita. I will ask about washing then and maybe try it. Thank you
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 18:11:28 PM »
Perhaps it might be worth trying to persuade them to stock another fusible interfacing? Woven fusible is a very different beast to the old vilene/fliesline stuff that used to be the only show in town. Using modern fusibles is a revelation and makes a huge difference to projects.

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 20:42:51 PM »
I like to support local whenever I can, but not to the point that I can't get what I need.

Ordering sewing supplies online usually means ordering from a small business that is local to other people. You are still supporting a smaller business that will continue to stock what you need.

I don't hesitate to do that.

As for ordering from the Big "Amz": I have a "3 store rule". If I try 3 locals and can't find what I need/want, I turn to Amz. Anymore running around and I'm wasting far too much time and money.

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 08:46:52 AM »
@Emerion - I have sent you a pm.