The Sewing Place

Hello from the states

Tina

Hello from the states
« on: September 19, 2020, 00:33:35 AM »
My name is Tina. I live in Pennsylvania in the states. I'm 49 and wanted to learn to sew since I was a child. My family surprised me with a Singer Tradition sewing machine for my birthday. I was practicing with the stitches and seam allowances and then Covid happened. I watched soooo many videos and started making masks for my friends and family. I still make masks but I've also made some pillow cases and whale plushies I use as my pin cushions.
   My husband wants me to learn to read and learn to use a pattern. I'm deciding which one to try. They are a bit intimidating. He also bought me a vintage rotary sewing machine, a White Dressmaster. Sadly she needs work and is going to the shop for repairs. What does he do buys me a Singer 201  :faints: So now I'm trying to learn how to sew more things, I'm having to learn  it all on a new machine. I'm a little scared but looking forward to the learning experience.
 I know I'm going to learn alot from all of you so thank in advance.

Ellabella

Re: Hello from the states
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 00:57:27 AM »
Hello and welcome @Tina, lots of help and advice on here.

Your husband sounds like a keeper. 

You probably want to start on something simple like an A line skirt.  I would suggest you use a pattern for woven fabric rather than one for knits for your first make.

The sizes on printed patterns are not the same as those on Ready to Wear clothing so take measurements and compare them to the information on the pattern envelope.

A good basic sewing book will explain the fundamentals or there are lots of videos on YouTube etc.

If there is something you don’t understand, just ask on here. There are no stupid questions, we all started knowing nothing.

We have members in lots of different time zones, so there is usually someone awake who can help you.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 01:05:41 AM »
Welcome!

The Singer Sewing book may also be helpful.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »
Welcome @Tina.

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 08:49:39 AM »
Welcome to the world of sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 08:53:06 AM »
Hello there....

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
Welcome @Tina
Still learning

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
Welcome to TSP.

The quality of the stitches from the  :vintage: 201 will be much superior to those made by the :sew: Tradition, though the 201 won't do the fancy stitches.

For your first make choose a pattern designed for woven fabric - an A-line or panelled skirt would be ideal, and choose a plain, or all-over patterned fabric which doesn't need to be pattern matched.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 09:33:53 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
A warm welcome from me too
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

fajita

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 11:29:16 AM »
Welcome @Tina  :flower: :drink:

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »
Welcome @Tina   from me, too!  :toast:  good luck with your sewing adventures xx

maliw

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 15:08:46 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 15:31:37 PM »
Hello and welcome @Tina look forward to seeing your journey into the sewing world  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 16:07:01 PM »
Hi Tina welcome to TSP! What part of Pennsylvania are you from?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72