The Sewing Place

Bird beak mask/plague doctor mask tutorial

Manuela

Bird beak mask/plague doctor mask tutorial
« on: September 19, 2020, 03:24:54 AM »
And now for something completely different, plague doctor/bird beak masks.
I started out with this pattern plague doctor half face mask, bought on Etsy.

Note, it’s for a leather mask, so seam allowances are scant and need to be extended. I worked with a seam allowance of 1cm.
I also added very low pile batting (silk/bamboo in my case) and quilted fabric and batting. Instead of the strap I put up ear loops, the top position is as indicated on the mask, the bottom position becomes clear when you put the mask on. For my mask I cut 20cm elastic, for Mr Manuela’s 23cm.

There is a video tutorial as well, again, it’s for leather. The latter means you have to sew it in a slightly different order: start with the seam that sits on your nose bridge, then do the sides, last the seam on your chin.

Video tutorial for leather mask:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRQ5RWoRQFY

This is the prototype I made:

picture deleted

Making the prototype I realised that those seams on the side are not needed for shaping and can easily be omitted. Mr Manuela’s mask was made without them and fits equally well - the quilting looks much nicer that way.

picture deleted

The prototype (top) with the seam on the side and the actual mask (bottom). There is no actual difference in shape and how it fits, I assume the seam where included to save leather. Doing them in fabric just adds bulk at the pointy bit of the beak. If you want the indicate the part where the beak opens, you could just topstitch that line in a contrast colour.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The two pattern pieces combined, left with seam allowance, right without (apologies for all the scribbled bit on them, this is how I work). I used the pattern piece without the seam allowance for the batting. The mask is lined with cotton lawn.

Below the pattern amended for a puffin mask. The technical bit is done, now I need to come up with the design layout...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 13:10:23 PM by Manuela »

Iminei

Re: Bird beak mask/plague doctor mask tutorial
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »
Loving this ....

I used to collect masks to hang on my walls ... I wonder if wearing any of them would satisfy this law we now find ourselves under ??? (Tho there are still peeps wandering around the supermarkets without them  :angry:)

Thank you Manuela!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 17:56:12 PM »
This is so good. It's also the perfect Christmas present for OH's brother in law who has a very dry sense of humour.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 19:41:58 PM »
It should freak a few people.  :laughing:

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 19:45:31 PM »
This is a good one :)
smiling mask

:laughing:
Willing but not always able :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 20:34:00 PM »

I saw a mask with the Joker's smile. 

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 05:58:41 AM »
This is a good one :)
smiling mask

:laughing:  That is beyond brilliant and reminds me very strongly of the masks that Nina Conti puts on people during her show
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 14:31:18 PM »

:laughing:  That is beyond brilliant and reminds me very strongly of the masks that Nina Conti puts on people during her show

Yes I remember that well, it is so funny  :laughing:

Not seen that clip before @Iminei - it's hilarious!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 14:36:15 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 16:33:24 PM »
I've made DH a mask with a zip over the mouth.  It gets loads of comments.

Thank you @Manuela  for this tutorial! I'm thinking I'm going to give it a try -  think DH and maybe my son in law would like these..... :thinking:  xx