The Sewing Place

Can we develop the darkside

Lowena

Can we develop the darkside
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »
I know that the bom is in full swing and has attracted new darksiders. I am interested in where we go from there.
There don't seem to be many darkside projects in the pipeline. Is anyone making a quilt? Cushions? Table linen? Bags? If so, please share your works in progress, it's good to share and it will encourage others.
I know @Iminei is immersed in machine embroidery and @rubywishes has been fpping away like a good 'un but has anyone been hiding their light under a bushel??
I shared my wips recently and hope to have a complete quilt or two to show before long.
Had anyone got any ideas to take the dark side forward...winter's coming with more time indoors to craft....suggestions???
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

Re: Can we develop the darkside
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 12:36:28 PM »
I do have a WIP and a planned imminent one (I have lots and lots of planned quilts that are not imminent...) - I shall update my diary.  I could do with some ideas for quilting my latest anyway.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
Well I don’t know where you’ve been looking but I’ve had at least four projects on the go lately.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
I'm on it @Lowena:dance:

I have so many projects on the go I haven't time to photograph them all!!! I finished all 80 blocks for my oarsman quilt yesterday so I'll photograph some possible layouts later and you can pick your favourite.

November's sewalong is accessories including scarves and bags; both possible by darksiders and December's is festive sewing; presents decorations etc also suitable for darksiders. No need to compete but I'm sure everyone would like to see what you have produced.  :loveit:

As for ongoing projects and sewalongs...watch this space!  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 13:11:46 PM »
I have a WIP that I hung on the wall behind the piano to attract the eye when Estate Agent photos were being taken and to distract any viewers' eyes from the mess neatly organised sewing stuff at the other end of the room.

Now we're in the throes of house-hunting 120 miles away, things are going to be on hold for a while yet.

I have hopes of a dedicated sewing room approx. 120 miles away in the not-too distant future  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 13:13:40 PM »
I typed a reply but it's vanished. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Bjay

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 13:46:16 PM »
Somewhere in the 'Diaries' is a WIP that needs to be finished soon- summer, gardening and BOM took over.
Planned, in fact ordered fabric today, is a rainbow quilt that I am getting quite excited about and there are Festive things planned.
Perhaps something festive i began before i joined TSP and is in pieces will be finished or converted into somethiing else.
I don't think we have come to a stop just weather and Lockdowns and gardening get in the way
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 13:56:37 PM »
I'm working on my BOM quilt - plus I'm a member of the Lightside too so get tempted away from the Darkside quite frequently  :S - I don't really have the room to store more than one Darkside project so no WIP's, I'm afraid. I do have ideas for C*******s decorations but that's more the embroidery side, so no help there.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 14:47:12 PM »
I just thought the shorter, cooler days of autumn might chivvy us along. I know I'm guilty of not getting on with things as I ought.
I'd love some suggestions other than the normal things we darksiders make.
I'm not a lightsider nor a machine embroiderer and need a bit of a shove
Triumph of hope over experience :D

twopence

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 15:57:46 PM »
Didn’t I put photos up of how I’d quilted my rail and fence quilt?  I will put photos up again when it is bound.  I also have a quilt that has been quilted using stencils and the binding is on so I’ll photograph that when it’s finished.  The braided stencilling around the edge looks lovely but has lots of ends to sew in as I had to keep stopping and starting as it wove over and under.

There is a third one but you can’t see it yet as it’s for Project Linus next year.  I’m never that much ahead normally.

maliw

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 16:54:54 PM »
I don't do much with P&Q at the moment as most of my sewing time is for Angel babies but I have done a little something, quilted and ready to go. I will photograph and post ASAP.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Syrinx

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 16:56:10 PM »
Contemplating asking Imi if she wants me to run a FMQ or FPP quilt BOM next year.
Also I'm working on a few thingies, but nothing I can share yet sadly.
  • bec likes this

WendyW

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 16:57:23 PM »
I'm working on a quilt for my granddaughter. It's approaching done-ness, but I haven't posted about it. I do have some pictures that were taken to show my daughter, so I'll get those posted here later tonight.

Is there a  Darkside thread re: antique quilts? I acquired a couple last week that I'd like to share. I'll start a thread if there isn't one.

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 17:52:07 PM »
Sorry but I stopped sharing my quits in progress when someone remarked it looked like a tablecloth with sewn-in-place table mats!!! :(

Also had someone from here say about one piece of my work "Liked it more than I thought I would"  !!! WTF?

When you're a beginner, and you like to make things that maybe aren't quite as traditional as some folks, you don't need that kind of discouraging remark, bordering on unkindness. So I joined somewhere kinder to talk about quilts, and show mine there now.

:vintage:

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 18:18:56 PM »
Oh crikey! I say 'I like it better than I thought I would' all the time! Or 'I didn't think I was going to like that'... I certainly would never mean it as an insult!  :o I'm always amazed that somebody can take something in which I see no potential and make it into something beautiful. I have no imagination.  :(
I did see one comment a while back which was blatantly scathing about P&Q. No subtlety, no innuendo, outright sneering. Some people are just rude but that says more about them than it does about me so I ignore them and move on. Each to their own.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!