The Sewing Place

How to pattern match perfectly?

sewingj

How to pattern match perfectly?
« on: September 19, 2020, 15:52:33 PM »
Strictly speaking this shouldn`t be in the Wardrobe section as it concerns curtain fabric but presumably it is the same technique.
I need to pattern match 2 pieces of curtain fabric so I can use them to cover a flat headboard - there will be a vertical join which will be in the centre of the headboard.  I`ve now made 3 pairs of curtains with this fabric - each curtain being 2 widths so I`ve already done a fair amount of pattern matching - but although it is fine for a gathered curtain it wouldn`t be good enough for the headboard (I want the join to be as invisible as possible).

Any advice would be much appreciated. I can`t work out how to exactly line up the design and then stitch in the right place

This is the fabric
https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/products/field-flowers-curtain-fabric-elderberry
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 15:54:10 PM by sewingj »

twopence

Re: How to pattern match perfectly?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 15:59:54 PM »
 I think that I would press a seam allowance and then match and mattress stitch from the right side to get the perfect match.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 16:01:31 PM »
If it was me I wouldn't have one seam down the middle. I would have a piece down the middle and equal sized panels on either side.
@Manuela is world champion pattern matcher and I'm sure loads of others know how to do it better than I do. I fanny about with pins and fabric flapping...  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 16:02:36 PM »
I'm not brilliant with pattern matching rules so I'm sure someone will come along with instructions.

I was wondering though if you needed the join to be central? I recall when I did a soft furnishing course (adult education) a long time ago it was suggested that you did 2 joins at the side. The reason being that your eye is drawn to the middle and would maybe pick up the join.

Your fabric looks very busy so I'm sure you will hardly see it anyway but just a thought! Is it a shaped headboard?

PS @wrenkins has just beaten me to it!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 16:06:54 PM »
It will be a rectangular headboard (when OH has cut the board).  I really don`t want to do 2 seams and 2 lots of matching!

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 16:10:00 PM »
@sewingj If you are planning to quilt it, a few vertical lines would disguise any seams  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Syrinx

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 16:55:08 PM »
WHen I pattern match I cut piece one, press the SA, then match on the fabric. Make marks, add sa and then cut out. Pre sewing rematch the pressed seam piece, mark the top and bottom, find those mark on the reverse, draw a line to follow, true up the pieces so sa matches perfectly and then stitch with along the line.

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 17:26:50 PM »
Could you do the centre seam, topstitch it, then do another 2 rows of vertical topstitching to divide the width into quarters? That could make it look as though it's just one more of a deliberate design of vertical seams.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 18:36:54 PM »
I agree with the others about having a full width down the centre and two small panels even if it does mean more pattern matching.

There's no easy place to match that mattern.  Just press your seam allowance down, match it from the front and either mattress stitch by hand, or baste by hand going slowly to keep check on the pattern and then turn WS-WS and machine stitch.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 18:48:08 PM »
I know it is a pain but i would really go for the 2 seam approach, because the fabric is busy if you don't get a perfect match and you have a centre seam then it will really stand out. If you have a central full width and then 2 narrow pieces at the sides then any slight mismatch will be less noticeable.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 19:29:04 PM »
WHen I pattern match I cut piece one, press the SA, then match on the fabric. Make marks, add sa and then cut out. Pre sewing rematch the pressed seam piece, mark the top and bottom, find those mark on the reverse, draw a line to follow, true up the pieces so sa matches perfectly and then stitch with along the line.

Thus is how I do it, with additional muttering under my breath.

I too would go for two seams, rather than one. You could also add some matching ribbon (or same fabric piping) to cover the seam.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 20:32:32 PM »
Exactly like this. Identify the pattern repeat first, so thet you gphave two pieces that are the same. Then proceed as syrinx describes it

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
Just as an update - here`s my finished headboard.  There is one join but I`m not going to point it out!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 12:00:29 PM »
Well I can't see the join @sewingj and it's gorgeous!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »
Very impressive!   I can’t see the join either!   :thumbsup: