The Sewing Place

Taking our seams in silk crepe

Daffodil

Taking our seams in silk crepe
« on: September 19, 2020, 16:44:07 PM »
Hello All

I need a silk crepe morocain wedding dress to be adjusted (seams taken out) and the supplier who has the dress, insists that this can be done without damaging the silk. I would very much appreciate your opinions on this as I am unable to obtain the dress for a second opinion until I've paid for it.

Please find attached three pictures that the supplier has sent of a swatch of the silk crepe morocain (https://www.pongees.co.uk/marocain-cream.html) that is 1. stitched, 2. stitches removed and 3. steam ironed. She is using these images to illustrate that taking out the stitching will not damage the silk.

The dress is lined in silk crepe backed satin: http://james-hare.com/search/silk-crepe-backed-satin-gold. If the seams on the morocain might be okay, is there any chance that the seams in the lining might not be and might show through?

Thanks for giving some thought to this.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

Re: Taking our seams in silk crepe
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 17:18:42 PM »
The Morocain  seems to be a bit more robust and textured than a satin finish so the stitch holes may  well disappear with steaming. The lining should be OK as it won’t be seen.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 18:42:23 PM »
The fabric might survive being unpicked, but are the seam allowances wide enough to get enough increase?  French seams are typically 5/8 inch seam allowance, stitched at 1/4 inch and then again on the 5/8" line.  When you re-do it you have to leave enough to remake the French seam.

The samples look as though the fabric will fray fairly readily so you can't be too mean with the final seams.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

jintie

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 19:43:29 PM »
Not sure why you are buying a dress that needs altering, and might not work out.....
Rottweiler with scissors

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 19:53:16 PM »
Here is the story from the beginning @jintie.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 20:56:08 PM »
Sounds to me as though she is asking you to accept a bodged job.  :ninja: :'(

Take Morgan's advice from the last post in the previous thread.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Daffodil

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 17:07:56 PM »
Thanks for all the advice again. I have taken everyone's advice on board. A legal letter will cost £300. I doubt that the dress maker will respond to a lawyer's letter even if I sent one - I've already sent her a notice of intention to take her to small claims. This has had no impact.

I think that I'm effectively forced to make the payment if I do not want to lose what is in part already my property (the fabric and embellishments that I paid for) and the investment I’ve already made in her service. I could still take it to small claims - but this will take months, cost more than the final payment she is demanding and I might still battle to get her to send me the dress even if I do win small claims. And then there might not be enough time to do anything with the dress before my wedding.

The dress was made before lockdown and so the stitching has been in the fabric for 6 months and the dress has spent a bit of time hanging. I'm worried this will affect the size of the holes. I'm also unsure how much of the seam would have to be taken out (the main reason is meant to be to make the dress longer).

Thanks for everyone's support.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 17:55:37 PM »
Letting seams out will only allow the garment to drop if it was too tight on you.  If it fits as it should letting the seams out won't increase the length.

:'(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 18:19:35 PM by BrendaP »

Daffodil

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 18:02:46 PM »
Yes - the dress is too tight - so it might help a bit. Just not sure if the seams will have enough in them to resize properly to get the length right and without the fabric fraying. I'm just weighing up if it is worth paying her the final amount at all if the dress it too ruined to be redeemed. Even if I get the dress off her, I might have to buy more fabric (different fabric roll batch might also have a slightly different colour) to at least get the front of the skirt re-done. I've got the toile and pattern, and so it might be a better job / almost equivalent price to just start from scratch.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 18:07:03 PM by Daffodil »

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 18:35:38 PM »
Personally I wouldn't give this person a penny more. Chalk it up to experience, ask around for a recommendation for a dressmaker and start again. I don't think you will be happy with the existing dress after all the upset it has caused you even if you can get it altered

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 18:49:37 PM »
I agree with @sewingj

You are between a rock and a hard place but with all that has gone on You are never going to be happy with that dress.  Accept that it has cost you money and that you have learned a hard lesson, but do go ahead with the small claims court, and look for another reputable dressmaker.

Daffodil

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 18:59:32 PM »
Yes - I'm feeling that way at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 19:14:18 PM by Daffodil »

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 19:45:23 PM »
If you start afresh you will know that you will have a dress that is going to be right.  You will still be able to take action over the original contract without the risk of possibly ending up with no dress or a poorly altered one and the time frame won't matter.
My DH made a claim using the online small claims process.  It was very easy and well explained and did not take long at all.  There was a statutory period that had to be given to the complainee to respond to the legal letter (which they didn't).  His claim was successful.
Life's too short for ironing.

Daffodil

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 21:54:04 PM »
Thanks Everyone. I'll start a new thread on the 'sewing professionally' board to get some ideas about how I can find a reputable dressmaker. Thanks for all your help.

Syrinx

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 17:29:58 PM »
I'd also recommend starting over and going small claims. It costs £60 and can be done online and I'm pretty sure you'd win the case. Especially if they are ignoring correspondance. They will also have to pay your fees if you do win.

There are so many lovely dressmakers out there I'm sure you'll find the perfect one :)