The Sewing Place

Big bucks sewing machines

Gernella

Big bucks sewing machines
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
Twiddling last night on Ebay I came across this along with another model, both relatively new.  I remember wondering if some indulgent husband had bought one, only his wife was just a normal  now and again machine user.  The stuff it would be able to do would be mind boggling  and just frighten them into not using.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Janome-6700p-Sewing-Machine/303698523033?hash=item46b5d7b399:g:CJ0AAOSwu0BfZ63x

Mind you, I suppose it's better than buying an £85 model and want to sling it around his neck. :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

Re: Big bucks sewing machines
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:54 AM »
The seller sold another v expensive machine in July this year

brother

So Caveat Emptor!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:07:57 AM »
I think some machines getting far too complicated ( unless you want an embroidery machine )
I was thinking about this
https://www.franknutt.co.uk/pfaff-performance-icon
But do I really want a machine that will connect to my phone?.....no so I’m settling for this

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/pfaff-quilt-expression-720

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 13:06:32 PM »
I suspect we are conditioned to buying the best we can afford, for example in household furniture but then machines now are speciality items for some and just general work horses for others  but we still go over the top if we can. 

The first machine I bought myself was the Janome Memory Craft 7000 a trade up from single stitch machine with zig zag facility. Then, when it started failing on things I went with my head and bought the Pfaff Select, which was fine but I missed the so easy selection of a computer based machine (and auto buttonholes) and within six months went  with my heart with the Pfaff Expression 2.

While the old girl is not dead yet, far from it, I like to get prepared, and my head says get the Pfaff Passport next and my heart wants the Ambition 610.  Trouble is I'm a sucker if I see a bargain. :rolleyes:
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 13:32:46 PM »
 :loveit: Ooooh I am interested in this particular model. Not sure I would risk it tho most feedback as a seller is okay - bar one negative review.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 16:23:08 PM »
:loveit: Ooooh I am interested in this particular model. Not sure I would risk it tho most feedback as a seller is okay - bar one negative review.

I think on Ebay the buyer is the one who counts. They have the original box as well so that's a plus, all  the right packing to keep the machine  snug. It's the same on Amazon if you have a no show or not happy with the purchase for a valid reason.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 16:28:49 PM »
Actually I've just seen this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Janome-Memory-Craft-9900-Sewing-Embroidery-Machine/254704190326?epid=18040529698&hash=item3b4d8d8376:g:vqkAAOSwv8pfS07h

In my neck of the woods but would be absolutely wasted on me, good job I've got no money.  It looks a massive chunk of machinery though.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 18:18:36 PM »
My gut reaction is that people are selling them because they can't work out how to use them! 

If they were selling to finance/make room for a bigger and better model surely they would be trading part exchange.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 18:44:27 PM »
You don’t get much in part exchange... I was offered £150 for my Pfaff QE4... they’re selling on ebay for around £500

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 19:43:11 PM »
Considering all the machines I use are mechanical, and at that most are antiques, I don't get the bells and whistles.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 20:06:05 PM »
Considering all the machines I use are mechanical, and at that most are antiques, I don't get the bells and whistles.

We're nearly all Magpies @Kwaaked , we like shiny things. I do have a mechanical though.  Until I have a machine death I think I'll have to stick and just ogle :S

But, I don't want anyone to miss a bargain. :)

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 21:36:19 PM »
Nah, my inner Luddite is showing is all.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 13:36:12 PM »
We're nearly all Magpies @Kwaaked , we like shiny things. I do have a mechanical though.  Until I have a machine death I think I'll have to stick and just ogle :S

But, I don't want anyone to miss a bargain. :)

My pink Featherweight is the answer to this magpie’s desires... and beautiful fabric of course.  ;)