The Sewing Place

Bag top stitching

Ellabella

Bag top stitching
« on: September 21, 2020, 21:46:25 PM »
I am attempting to top stitch around the top of a bag.

The bag is a mixture of fabric and faux leather panels.  When I sewed the two different fabrics together in the body of the bag I had no problems but when I try to top stitch the main bag and the lining I’m getting skipped stitches when I sew over the faux leather sections.

I am using a Teflon foot and have tried a microtex  needle as well as a standard needle.  I have tried sewing with the faux leather on top and with the lining on top but both ways give skipped stitches.

Does anybody have any ideas before I chuck it out of the window?

Giving up for tonight, off to watch something mindless and sulk.

Vezelay

Re: Bag top stitching
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 21:59:07 PM »
When I had similar problems sewing a lined faux leather jacket I got best results with my walking foot and a size 14 jeans needle (recommended by Angela Wolf). I used a Teflon foot for most of the construction but got skipped stitches when topstitching down the front zip - changing to a walking foot did the trick. Worth a try?

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 22:19:14 PM »
Never thought of using a walking foot.  I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 17:27:13 PM »
I'd say walking foot. I always topstitch bags with a walking foot. In fact I think I use it more than any foot other than my generic foot and my FMQ foot  :laughing:

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
It worked!!

Apart from a tiny area when the WF had to run over the magnetic snap which I can live with.

Only the handles to go now.