The Sewing Place

Tuesday, 22 September

Silver Rose

Re: Tuesday, 22 September
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 10:23:34 AM »
It is sunny with a warmer breeze today, I've got a load of washing done, it is supposed to rain tomorrow. A bit of housework done so now I am having a coffee and a rest before I do some ironing. Enjoy your day out @twopence , good news about your husband @Stitches.  Have a good day everyone.
Still learning

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 11:11:58 AM »
I have food shopping and whilst out, will decide if I am going to quilt the collar and cuffs of the dressing gown I am going to make.  If so, I will drop by the fabric shop and buy the batting.

I wouldn’t like to try and quilt velour....I think with batting it will be too bulky. If you want to quilt I would use an interfacing.

Bjay

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
Hiya
Doing loads pf washing so I don't have to worry when the rain comes (tomorrow)
I've taken the umbrella down and it is now stored in the garage until next year. The fabric is getting a bit thin I noticed from the sun and summer rain.
I will have to move the pots into shelter as well until I have time to take cuttings and pot them up. I have a small plasitic GH that I put inside the glass one. I find things survive (on the whole) in there.

Someone came to give  quote for widening our drive yesterday evening. It is shared and I am fed up of driving up and down the kerb to avoid NDN's large cars
Spent a lot of morn ing on  BIL again, supposed to be moving him but not sure of he has a place at the sheltered housing now because of his lack of mobility  :headbang:

Waiting for a large Doughty parcel but looks as if I will have to wait now.
In the mean time I will quilt the BOM's and as the extra leaf has been put in the table I will try to finish the sofa quilt I began yonks ago!

have happy sewing dauys
@Iminei Take yourself out somewhere, anywhere , have a walk and just a good look round (not shopping). You will feel better for it
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
Not so nice today but still ok to sit outside as must make the most of it.

Washing on the line.  I have several small pieces  of fabric on there for grandson’s tops.  What's the betting I don’t have one bloody thread that matches? 

We had thought of going to Winchester Hill this morning but changed our mind and went for a walk round Bere Forest just down the road.  Lovely and peaceful today.  First time I’ve been out for over a week!   Dreading the bad weather as I feel we won’t go anywhere.  Although it might be the ideal time to go the coast. 

If the fabric dries there could be some sewing done, thread permitting.  Or I might just sit and read!

Have a good day all and enjoy what looks like the last of the sunshine.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
@Bjay It is absolutely the right time of year to be thinking about a sofa quilt!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 12:22:59 PM »
I wouldn’t like to try and quilt velour....I think with batting it will be too bulky. If you want to quilt I would use an interfacing.
See here for some lovely examples of McCall's 7875.  The pattern calls for interfacing and because the fabric is velour, I bought sew in.  I am not entirely wedded to the idea of quilting and won't be doing the piping either. 
What goes around comes around.

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 12:57:13 PM »
A fine day here with some sunshine, but definitely cooler.
Supermarket delivered this morning. When I put it on the calendar I realised that I have been getting a delivery roughly once a month for the last few months instead of my previous routine of driving to the supermarket once a week.
It's working so I think I will stick with it.

First time I have had a problem though. Just spotted in time that the last bag was wrong - all of it. Man checked and two trays had been labelled wrongly.
All put away now.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bjay

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 13:03:11 PM »
I've just had a parcel from Doughty's  :dance:

Not opened yet, just hope the colours blend - don't need to do the balck and white trick for these

Ann

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 16:27:16 PM »
It's noon and it's raining and windy here. We are waiting for Hurricane Teddy to impact us. We have everything put away into the garage or shed, food bought, and we have power.

I am vacuuming today as we may not have power tomorrow. Tomorrow I can do dusting, folding some laundry, and twiddle my thumbs and knit if we have to sit around. If we have no power, there is a possibility we can get the generator out and running when the wind isn't blowing a gale.

We are adding Hurricane Teddy to our bucket list as we did Hurricane Dorian last year. We are safe which is the most important thing.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 50 metres
So far: 20.7 meters

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 16:48:39 PM »
Immmm Baaaacccckkkk ...

Went to go into town for some essentials, completely changed my mind at the end of the road and turned left ... out of ... instead of right ...into ... town!

I went to the big Metropolops of Poole, specifically Poole Hospital!

Since my dodgy ...low... potassium blood test result Ive been giving an emergency consultant appt, actually in person on Monday coming to discuss my result and what to do and they wanted a retest of my bloods.

So yesterday after trying for 3 (I kid you not, count them and weep ... 3!!) hours to get through to them on the phone  my surgery offered me their very first appt ... on 1st October!!!!!  :facepalm:

The consultant said I could come to the Hop early and have a test there before my appt but I know Mondays are lethal for blood tests, waiting times can run into the hour so I rocked up the Hop today, took a ticket and a quarter of an hour later my arm was painlessly vacuumed free of blood ....

I then stopped by Asda to get the right binbags ... bought 5 packs of them (that should last me another year or two) and stocked up on Meis catfood (on offer!) then popped into see Sharon of Seahorse Quilting opposite. After a natter and a forensic examination of THE most gorgeous quilt on the wall I wandered off to the Superduperuperhugeginormous Tesco, (that used to be my local) in search of essentials .... Half an hour later and many, many, many pounds lighter I set off for home ...

Got home just before the rain, if you could call the lack lustre spit spots rain started, cleaned Meis tray and got the dinner on ...

Im now contemplating opening up my Mugrug!

Bring it on BoJo ... Lock us down again ... Im ok for the foreseeable! Whoop Whoop!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 19:47:15 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjay

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 17:02:32 PM »
That's something I didn't think of when OH and I were going through things we may need to stock - bin bags - you'd think we 'd know as we ran out last time as well. Thanks @Iminei
I was thinking Cmas though - didn't get very far, seems much to early

Pleased you had some sense off the Hop if not your doc - that's the way it is  now

More BIL grief this afternoon, having tbought we had found him somewhere to live we were told this morning he couldn't go there. They have now changed tneir minds again so we are off up noorf to sign the papers tomorrow

Flobear

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 17:29:56 PM »
Afties TSPers.

Happy Autumn Equinox - at least in the N. hemisphere, I guess.

I have all my ducks in a row as regards house viewing 120 miles away tomorrow. 4 properties Wed pm, Another 3 or possibly 4 Thurs am. Will have to give the parrot and chooks double rations so they can manage for 24+ hours without us. Hope we find something we really like, can't be doing with constant shuttling back and forth.

Oh well, what will be will be. As long as I get a Sewing Room out of it, I'll be a happy bunny

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 17:31:54 PM by Flobear »
Dogs are such a help when dressmaking!

twopence

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 17:50:19 PM »
@Lowena and @Silver Rose

We had a very enjoyable day at Rosemoor which was quite busy.  It’s almost an annual visit for us as our friends are members.  We started with coffee, wandered round the gardens, had our picnic lunch under an awning on the lawn and finished with a cream tea.  We chatted so much that it was so late when we left that the Dartington shop had closed before we got there.  May have another chance to get there this week.

Puzzler

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 19:02:14 PM »
As long as I get a Sewing Room out of it, I'll be a happy bunny

Hope you can get more for your money, happy bunny, in the land of Dean.

sewingj

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 19:16:23 PM »
I discovered that a face mask is a very useful thing if you are cutting down ivy (which usually makes me cough) - and fortunately the neighbours are away and didn`t see me and wonder if I was being a tad over cautious
Attempting to be a Tailor of Gloucester