The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020

cakeymcdoodle

Re: The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »
OK, first go at attaching photos to a post. Here’s my skirt and jeans (described above).

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 11:32:42 AM »
I love that skirt fabric. I'm looking for something similar to make the sweatshirt on the front of Ottobre magazine. It's shown in felted wool so it needs to be something that can stand up on it's own I think.  0_0 Ideally I'd have it in their fabric but of course it doesn't exist.  :(
What are you planning for your skirt? Have you any ideas?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »
I bought the fabric such a long time ago I have no idea what it was called! I also made a long cardigan from it which I’ve worn loads, but this skirt never made it out of the wardrobe after a year so Something Must Be Done.

The line drawing is below. I think I’ll try and make it symmetrical but I like the kind of lampshade skirt/lantern sleeve kind of shape i.e. poufing out then back in.  There were no lengthen/shorten lines in the pattern and the pieces are weird shapes so I’m not sure how it will work, since I want to take out a lot of length of but echo the shape  :thinking:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:01:42 PM by cakeymcdoodle »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
@wrenkins i don’t know if you’re aware but Ottobre fabric can be bought from Etsy!   :)

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 12:09:47 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I went to their website and followed all the links and I'm pretty sure I ended up on Etsy. I'll check again but I suspect that it's one of those things were the magazine was photographed a while back and the fabric is now out of stock/date/fashion...  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 16:13:41 PM »
Ask Mr Google about cloque (properly cloqué) fabric, which just means bubble or blister.  You will probably find something similar.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 16:37:03 PM »
That's what I've been looking at @BrendaP. My Winkelwagen is in the aisles.  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 17:21:42 PM »
I have no specific ideas right now, but hopefully something will occur to me.
I'm currently a size 18-20 so need plenty of fabric to make a garment for me.

Is duvet cover to shirt in the spirit of the contest?
Or how about recutting a man's shirt to be a woman's shirt?
How about a blanket into a cardigan ?

I see that I can use other fabric for up to half of the garment, so that might make it more practical for me.
Perhaps a patchwork cardigan from multiple knit pencil skirts. I was in to making and wearing these some years back but now all too small and not much skirt wearing going on.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 17:26:23 PM by SewRuthieSews »

wrenkins

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 18:07:06 PM »
The big rule is significant change. Turning up a skirt a couple of inches isn't really in the spirit of it but duvet cover to shirt is definitely a refashion!  :laughing: Shirt to blouse might not look significant but if you can demonstrate that it is then that's fine too.
I can't wait to see everyone's ideas.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 18:12:44 PM »
I have a pile of things that are destined to be turned into other things.  Only trouble is that I have no idea what the other things are going to be.  Maybe inspiration will strike...  :meditation:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 18:15:38 PM »
I have a cream throw that looks like kind of knitty stuff and I am desperate to cut a hole in it and make a sort of capey thing. Him indoors is outraged so I'll wait till he's not looking. What's it to him anyway. It's not his!  :laughing:

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 20:25:17 PM »
Errrrrrrmm I think I have entered this ....  -< :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 20:49:46 PM »
Oh yes. Would you like to tell us...?

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »
Yup Im in ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 16:27:39 PM »
I'm completely bereft of ideas :headbang:
Help, anyone??
Triumph of hope over experience :D