The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020

Lachica

Re: The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2020, 19:02:25 PM »
@Iminei my photos are in the text of my entry - I got into trouble cos they're so big - do you need me to  enter again? There were 3 or 4 posts, do I need to amalgamate them? Only 4 pics are allowed per post so I'd have to cut down.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »
@Lachica, I have your entry but it says to be continued at the end??? Do you have anything more to add?

I based the dress on S1435 but cut the front along princess style lines to make side pieces. These were cut out of the front of my top. Flowered fabric was a half metre remnant from a FB stash clearance. (To be continued)

Yes I do need One complete entry hon, sorry.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2020, 22:15:26 PM »
Lachica's entry

Leggings & dress for 3.75 yr old

Leggings: Simplicity 1435, cut age 3 with age 4 length legs. Dress based on the age 3 bodice from this pattern, modified to mock princess seams with pockets concealed in the side panels. Age 3 with 3 cm added to bodice length, and the skirt parts flared from waist. Sleeves lengthened by 4 cm.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Fabrics used: cotton lycra 200gsm. Purple from a top I made for myself which I didn't like as the fabric was too thick for the design. Flowered CL remnant bought from a FB destash, 49 cm long.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
I got one leg from the back of my top, the other squeezed out of the leftover. Dress side panels were each cut in 2 to get them from the rest of my top. The flowered fabric was cut across the width as the stretch was the same in both directions and the print can be viewed either way. The pocket joins were made WS facing and bound with flower fabric to minimise bulk. There's a label hidden inside a pocket, I don't sew them in the back neckline any more as the children find them itchy. I added 3 flowers with sequin centres to leggings but they kept rolling up to show the white back so removed them. They're shown in the photo but looked really tacky!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:25:30 AM by Iminei »
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2020, 22:45:04 PM »
@Iminei I managed to download my images from my first post (I'd deleted them from my phone) and put them through Snapseed then inserted them into my entry. I hope they're now a reasonable size but I can't see what size they are. I also don't know whether Snapseed did the trick or whether the forum did the work :thinking:
Mary

BrendaP

« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2020, 23:12:01 PM »
This afternoon I watched a repeat of the last series of GBSB, the re-use and repurpose week.  They had to make a man's bomber jacket from up to four different ladies' garments.  Given the usual forced errors due to time restraints some of them looked pretty good.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2020, 09:26:58 AM »
@Lachica ... alls good and youre entered!

Any more for any more ...

Calling @Goth Gardiner  ... I need pics inserted within the text of your entry please ... @Goth Gardiner

Iminei

« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
Well the MeiReQuilt has been washed, colour catchers caught nothing as I predicted but better safe than sorry, and is now on the line drying in the sunshine.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2020, 14:26:32 PM »
Your Name; Goth Gardener – 1 entry
What is it and for whom: Conversion of two tops/tunics into another top, two handbags and a mask.  All for me!
Pattern used: All self-drafted
Fabrics used: Black linen woven tunic with beadwork, purchased in a charity shop years ago. Black and silver stretch tunic , also purchased in a charity shop long ago. Lining for bags, interfacing and one length of silver piping from stash.
A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.:
The original plan was to completely transform the black and beaded tunic, but there wasn’t quite enough fabric to make another top.  However, it combined with the silver fabric from the other top nicely I thought.

This is the new top along with handbag 1 (see below) and the obligatory mask.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Close up of top (un-ironed).  I am proud of the binding!

The silver piping is from my stash.
I used the bottom of the beaded top to make the yoke.  The short sleeves were cut from the sleeves of the tunic. The hems of both the sleeves and hem of the front  were the original hems. The binding around the neck and the bottom section were made from the stripey top.  As I had used this pattern before it didn't really present any difficulties. I moved the front darts from the side to being vertical as I didn't want to mess up the stripes and  I didn't sew the darts until after I'd sewn everything else as I haven't done this pattern using a stretch before, I ended up doing to the front darts twice as the first once weren't enough.

Handbag one.
I wanted to use the v-neck of the tunic to make a matching handbag, but it was a slightly awkward shape. But, while I had the whole pile of fabric dumped spread out I realised that the sleeves of the tunic were kind of handbag shaped:

The front and back are from the tunic, and I used the v-neck to make an extra pocket on the front, which is useful for holding sanitizer and masks, or if preferred, small animals. The binding and handle I made from the other top.  The lining came from stash, and has a zipped credit card pocket, a phone pocket and a hook for attaching keys (yes, I am a bit paranoid about losing things).  It is fastened with a metallic clasp.

No real problems with this; I like the open pocket for masks, I wish I had been able to make it a bit bigger, but it's enough for an afternoon of coffee and cake.

But this still left me with fabric.
So I made a second bag from the black and silver fabric:
The other side of the flap is some of the linen from the other top.  Innards as per the other bag.  I had problems with this as I used cheap interfacing and the whole thing kept slipping and so my stripes don't quite match up (especially on the back, which I'm not showing you).  The flap uses the cuff from one of the sleeves where the pattern runs the other way, which I like, except for the mismatched stripes!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:30:31 AM by Iminei »
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2020, 14:33:08 PM »
All done now!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 16:41:09 PM by Goth Gardiner »
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Iminei

« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2020, 18:43:30 PM »
You've shaved off your moustache !!!! -<

Catllar

« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2020, 17:00:03 PM »
Voted.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

CraftyIrish

« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
Just got my patch in the post i love it. Thank you so much @Iminei
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web