The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020

wrenkins

The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:09:57 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020

The aim of this contest is to repurpose something that has had a previous identity.
To take an item or items and create a completely new and different garment or accessory.

It may have come from a second hand shop. It may be something handed down to you, something you’ve had in a cupboard for ages in order to do something with and forgot about, something that fitted you or you liked once but not anymore.
The "original" item or items must be changed substantially to create a totally new article. The item can be of the same type (dress to dress) or something entirely different (tablecloth to tote bag). However, the new item must be distinctly different from the original (for example, embellishments alone do not qualify).

The Rules:-
A photograph of your ‘ingredients’ must be included in your entry along with a photograph of your completed article. Progress pics would nice for nosey people interested voters.

Your original items can be anything you want, but they must be transformed into garments or accessories to qualify as "new" items for this contest.

The new piece must be sewn.

More than one source item can be used to create the final product.

At least half of the new item must be made from repurposed items (notions such as zips or interfacing do not count in the total).

Keep in mind that the new item needs to be significantly different from the original source item(s). Hence the following examples would not comply with the rules:
- hemming an old bridesmaid dress to make it a short cocktail dress.
- taking the sleeves off a blouse to make it a sleeveless blouse
- resizing a t-shirt to a smaller t-shirt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sewing starts on Thursday October 1st and ends on Saturday October 31st. You may do preparation work (gathering parts and pieces, ripping seams, cutting, disassembling, etc.) before the start date.

Photos should be up by Wednesday November 4th.

HAPPY TRANSFORMING!

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Goth Gardiner

Re: The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 13:23:02 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have this.  Bought some years ago from a charity shop for £3.99, with, I think the intention of making it a bit smaller and using it as a beach cover up.  It's a size 30, I'm a size 12 on top, it's enormous on me, too enormous to just take a few seams in, and the v-neck comes down past my clevage.  Plus the beading and embroidery makes it too heavy for wearing in the heat. 

I think there is enough fabric to re-make it into a better fitting short sleeved top, and a small bag as well.  I hope that counts.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 19:01:27 PM by Goth Gardiner »
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 13:39:17 PM »
That's exactly the sort of thing as long as there is a significant difference. The little bag will be a nice touch too. :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 14:09:29 PM »
There's a size THIRTY !!!! ???????   :faints:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 16:16:41 PM »

I've just double-checked, the label says "30" and "Euro 58".
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 18:16:42 PM »
Yes, of course, what else do you think us fat lasses are going to wear???  Nothing, cos they can't fit in your size 10s and 12s???  Sorry, but it makes me very cross that people are still fat-shaming larger ladies and gents.  :angry:

Syrinx

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 18:29:48 PM »
I must dig out my "jeans to be made into bags and mayber a skirt" bag

Kad

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 18:35:28 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  - you've no need to apologise for being cross  :hug:. Unfortunately, the practice continues and it's just plain wrong!
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 18:48:30 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  .... No, No, No, not fat shaming at all ... just a bit gobsmacked, totally off my radar ...

Sorry .. I'll get me coat

(Lots of fabric to play with tho' :D )
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 19:18:21 PM »
The new piece must be sewn.
Oh shucks.   Can't enter my fruit cage path made with the roof tiles from the house then.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 19:52:28 PM »
Did you drill holes into the tiles and then sew them together?  >:)
Oh no sorry - has to be a garment!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 20:40:21 PM »
There goes my quilt made out of men's dress shirts.  :laughing:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Syrinx

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 21:01:21 PM »
It's garment or accessory - I guess a quilt could be considered an accessory? I know I wear one of mine around the house when it's cold  :laughing:

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »
Well it looks like I joined TSP just in time for this contest  :toast:

I have two items that need refashioning and would be useful for the colder months. I’ll pay my subscription later and post photos, and just describe them for now.

The first is a Marcy Tilton skirt (V9060) which is midi length and asymmetrical with a point on one side. It’s made from a thick textured white knit and is extremely comfy, but the crazy old art teacher vibe is just too strong for me and although it’s a cool skirt it doesn’t feel like MY skirt. I also lost weight in the year since I made it. I plan to take it apart and make something echoing some of the style lines but above the knee. The pattern pieces are a weird shape so it should be a fun puzzle.

The second garment (that I’m not sure I’ll get time to do) is a pair of “slouchy” jeans in cobalt blue. They were on the almost-too-baggy end of the spectrum when I bought them a year ago and now they look ridiculous. I’d like to make a skirt from them. Would keeping the zip fly, belt loops etc be allowed if it seemed workable for making it?

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 06:50:10 AM »
Jeans to skirt sounds like a transformation to me. It's in!  :dance: