The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020

CraftyIrish

Re: The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2020, 21:09:22 PM »
I have just started to make a bag out of old jeans does this count.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Iminei

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2020, 09:19:52 AM »
Yes it does @CraftyIrish ... As long as you didnt start sewing Before the 1st October!

Take pics of the fabrics before and some during your refashion and of course some lovely pics of the finished item ... More details at the beginning of this thread
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

CraftyIrish

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2020, 09:45:10 AM »
Yes it does @CraftyIrish ... As long as you didnt start sewing Before the 1st October![/url]
I only started cutting and collecting things yesterday.

Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

CraftyIrish

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2020, 13:19:14 PM »
Starting now. Hopefully I have it done before 31st October. 
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Iminei

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2020, 17:04:23 PM »
Had a lovely day (10 - 2.30ish) of quilting today before I started getting too itchy and distracted ... hopefully more tomorrow!

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2020, 17:30:53 PM »
I looked at the fabric I had left, the front of the stripey top, which is made up of a few pieces, and various pieces of black linen. From a sleeve and the bottom of the front I have cut out and started in another, much smaller bag, with a flap to cover the opening. The lining of the flap is the black linen.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I know that this isn't a zero waste challenge, but I would quite like to use up the last couple of pieces, which are bits if the front under the arms.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

CraftyIrish

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2020, 22:18:35 PM »

Nearly have the outside of the bag done, just need to sew the handles on and sew down each side and box the corners. Then onto the lining.

Update im done lol I was up to early this morning at half five.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 11:15:25 AM by CraftyIrish »
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
@CraftyIrish that's great!

It is at this point in the contests I look at my partial entries and wonder if I should bother doing mine when I've seen the amazing things being done by others.
But I will give myself a strict talking too and hopefully get some time next week.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2020, 13:39:52 PM »
@SewRuthieSews you can do it.  :hug:
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2020, 13:52:21 PM »
@SewRuthieSews you do some great work.  Go for it!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2020, 18:36:30 PM »
@Ohsewsimple and @CraftyIrish thanks for the encouragement.

I have 3 project in various stages of repurposition and not quite sure which take take forward and how they might come out.

I thought I was being clever doing Shibori triangle dyeing in the washing machine (duvet -> blinds) but the little triangle packages came undone in the washer, and when I opened the door I had lots of almost plain blue fabric, and a washing machine full of plastic triangles (cut from recycling) and multi coloured elastic bands, rather than the pretty shibori pattern I was aiming for. So I'm pausing that one for a bit (as the blue a bit dark for the blinds) and hopefully some sort of idea will come to me for those (wondering if I can make whale shapes with bleach?)

So we are then left with the dress to cardigan and/or the old shirt of DBF's which I've done a different dye effect on and could be something for me.

I think it is time to take the scissors to the dress.

mudcat

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2020, 00:16:29 AM »
@SewRuthieSews how about discharge paste with stencils?  I wouldn't use bleach.  I've used the paste in the past.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2020, 17:00:06 PM »
Over the weekend I started on the dress to cardigan refashion.
So far I have - cut the dress down the middle of the front and reshaped slightly with french curve, removed the collar, cut the collar into strips and made a front and neckband by sewing three strips together, interfaced the fronts of the bands, found some buttons in the stash and made buttonholes in what I'm sure is the correct side.
Next step is to sew the button band onto the cardigan (easier to do the buttonholes before hand). And sew on the buttons by hand (shank).
Then see what I can do about the 3/4 sleeves with some sort of cuff arrangement. I have some of the collar left for that.

Iminei

« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2020, 15:32:42 PM »
The ReQuilt Update;

All quilting done, nice and simple ...  Pink crosses on the Blue squares and Blue crosses on the Pink squares! and I've now to choose binding ...

I was thinking DARK purple to set off the overall paleness of the quilt and to pick up on the blues and pinks but am now not so sure... Would you have any better ideas?

Here is a link to the album to show the two options so far ..

The entire thing has a very Shabby Chic, Vintage feel and I briefly thought of a white border but now think that is wrong considering the 'different' whites in the shirts. I have no more of his old clothes to cut up apart from trousers and two pairs of almost new Levis I bought for him the Christmas before ... and Im going to sell them!

Any ideas please fire away ... quickly ... Tempus Fugit!

Acorn

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2020, 15:37:21 PM »
I prefer the dark.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.