The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020

CraftyIrish

Re: The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2020, 16:09:46 PM »
@Iminei how do you share the pics in the link.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

UttaRetch

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2020, 18:53:07 PM »
@CraftyIrish, since you are a subscriber you can attach images direct from your computer. If the images are large, rescale before posting to this thread.  I use Lunapic for picture editing and I wrote a little tute which you can see here.

mudcat

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2020, 20:01:04 PM »
I also like the darker purple (on the right).

How do you get such perfect quilting lines?  Mine are a mess.

Iminei

« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2020, 07:10:20 AM »
@mudcat  Oh they are far, far, far from perfect ... generally I just eyeball them but if they are particularly awry I unpick and make a lil pencil mark on the 45 degree angle and resew ... the whole thing is going straight in the wash once finished as no matter how careful Ive been the general greasiness of me has got on the quilt.

And BTW Ive already soaked a piece of the dark purple batik in boiling water (not that I'll wash the quilt in boiling water) and No run!!! :)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2020, 08:23:05 AM »
Hi everyone, I finished my skirt!  :D

What’s the deal with doing an entry for the contest? Is there a template or do I just wing it? I have before and after photos and can write about what I did but maybe there’s an order for these things...

Iminei

« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
Im sure @wrenkins  has provided an outline template of an entry somewhere ..... @wrenkins ????

I'll need one too....

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
The tartan one used this, so could just tweak slightly

Please submit your entries in this thread following the template below

Details to include:

Your Name; Entry Number( if you have more than one )

What is it and for whom

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

What  fabrics you used (pictures welcome)

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.

Pictures included in the text please

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »
SewRuthieSews Entry - Dress to cardigan refashion for me.
No pattern used, just my imagination and a french curve.

I used the original dress, a scrap of interfacing and some salvaged buttons. I didn't use any extra fabrics.

I measured the centre front of the dress and marked it with a sliver of soap, and then cut up  the centre front with shears.
Next I cut the collar off, leaving the original seam for stability.
I then smoothed the line from the centre front cut into the neckline cut using the French curve and replicated to the other side.
I didn't finish the cut edges at this point, but I did lay it carefully to one side and not handle it.
Next I took the collar and cut it into strips. I sewed 3 strips together to make the front band.
I applied very lightweight interfacing to the front band area, leaving the neck area of the band stretchy to go around the neckline.
Next I made buttonholes in one side of the front band (carefully checking placement against a RTW cardigan), applied fray check and allowed to dry. I then cut them open with a buttonhole chisel.
Then I sewed the front band onto the cardigan with a straight stitch, and zigzagged the seam together. (I thought overlocking would be too bulky). I then pressed the band and left it on the dummy.
The next day the area where the front band joined the front was still very wiggly where the zigzag stitching had stretched things out. It looked quite bad I thought, so I hovered the steam iron above the seam (on the wrong side) and pressed a bit more and eventually got a fairly flat front.
I then marked the button positions and sewed them on by hand with a tapestry needle so as not to split the fibres. As a happy coincidence I had some buttons exactly the right colour which had been saved from a button front skirt suit I made in the late 1990s! (Though I slightly question the wisdom of keeping buttons for 20 years but hey ho).
I then made some cuffs with a split from the remainder of the collar pieces, added a button to each and sewed to the end of the sleeves.
It turned out to be quite a lot of work but I'm fairly pleased with the outcome. Hopefully the cardigan will get more wear than the dress did.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 12:27:40 PM by SewRuthieSews »

CraftyIrish

« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2020, 17:09:58 PM »
CraftyIrish Entry

What is it and for whom - Tote Bag for me.

Pattern used- from YouTube Easytosew.

What fabric you used - I used two pairs of old jeans and the lining was an old duvet cover. The wadding was a few smaller peices put together. I took the magnetic clasp off an old bag, and had heat and bond interfaceing i bought a long time ago.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc. - The video pattern was great but she never talks in it just has subtitles on it, most of her instructions said a 1/4 inch seam but there was two that didn't say anything but i done a 1/4'' and then when I had it put together i could see the stitches so had to pick them out.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:31:05 AM by Iminei »
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

UttaRetch

« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2020, 17:20:56 PM »
@CraftyIrish, I don't think that for the purposes of this competition, your links can be external.  I would find a static image for the bag pattern to embed into your entry like so

(scaled using Lunapic), and also add a few of your own pictures in-post in the same manner.

Iminei

« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2020, 18:24:26 PM »
Binding made ... will be attached tomorrow and then the Big reveal !!!

Woo Hoo it looks like Im going to make it!   :dance:

Iminei

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2020, 16:21:27 PM »
So a last lil Poll ...

Buttons ... with fabric swatch or without ????

Please let me know your opinion ... Thx

CraftyIrish

« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2020, 16:29:30 PM »
It looks nice with both but with fabric is cool and different.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

mudcat

« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2020, 16:33:16 PM »
I feel indecisive.  I like both too.  How many buttons will you do?  An idea ... do the fabric with dark scrap on light and only a button on dark squares.

fajita

« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2020, 16:33:36 PM »
With