The Sewing Place

Funky..

Efemera

Funky..
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:54:25 AM »
This is new to me but if you like modern and funky there’s some lovely patterns.
https://sewkindofwonderful.com/

Iminei

Re: Funky..
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
Interesting vid ... (Click and enlarge their site is obviously experiencing some difficulties with format.)

Especially as she sews on an old (and rather battered Singer) but I think it would drive me bats not to have perfect points ... Surely they could trim the components down to allow for them ???

But then again, what do I know???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »
I couldn't agree more @Iminei - and I don't see why having a gap between the ends of the curves means that the points can't match.  The gap could be a feature.  Mismatched points aren't.  I couldn't put that runner on my table with those points.   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
Oh my goodness. The blocks aren't matched evenly in the middle, the points don't match. I hate it. The whole point of piecing is so that everything matches up. If you can't get it to work by piecing normally then FPP it. That's what those techniques are FOR.  :scream: :headbang:

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
I never looked at the video... just liked the modern funky patterns.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »
Me too @Efemera. I love that letters one and the variations.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »
I watched just enough to see how dreadful the mis-matched points are.   :'( :facepalm:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 11:23:06 AM »
Stop moaning and sew your centre seams closer together!  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 11:37:07 AM »
Stop moaning and sew your centre seams closer together!  :laughing:
hahaha I feel this is the quilting equivalent to riding's "MORE LEG!"

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 13:14:47 PM »
Don’t look at the crappy vid... just look at the funky patterns, which I know isn’t most folks cup of tea. I won’t bother in future.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 13:20:08 PM »
Do bother in future. You find brilliant fabric sites. Either you know the secret words to search with or I don't go down enough Google pages! Either way you're my fabric guru.

Syrinx

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 14:09:31 PM »
I love modern patterns, but I just don't trust them to give the results in the drawings after seeing the up close in that vid and the lack of up close pictures elsewhere.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 15:12:38 PM »
Shame they're American
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 20:26:39 PM »
Shame they're American

:faints:  mustering up all the politeness I can, what the heck is that supposed to mean? I'm hoping it means "gee I'd order but I don't want to pay international postage rates ". It could easily be taken in a very, very different way.  ><

@Efemera , do bother, or you can just message me. I can send you my email
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Syrinx

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 21:00:16 PM »
There's a difference between purposefully mismatched points and points that are off because of a poor pattern. Much like anything, intention is just as important as execution. Saying "there might be gaps but never mind" is not adequate. If there are supposed to be gaps or the points don't match then make a point of it rather than it being poor design and execution. If I make a scrappy quilt and I don't have quite enough fabric to make things totally right then I say fair enough it's not going to match, but it's scrappy so not to worry too much, the design allows for that in certain places. If I'm making a twisted bargello then corner not matching is a huge issue. That's why I spend so long on the design of the pattern and the maths to ensure it is as perfect as can be so the cutting and putting together is as easy and mistake free as possible. Designing a pattern sets a certain standard, in quilts as in clothing, and saying "it's modern it doesn't matter" does not let off poor design. Everything should be a design feature that has been created on purpose, not because of poor workmanship.

In regards to Shame they's American, that is entirely a pain for us Brits as postage has become extortionate, half the places don't ship here and barely anything is available in pdf. It's not anything to do with nationality aside from that. Much like I want batik stamps from Bali but can't get them unless I fly over there. It makes lots prohibitively expensive. Standard letter shipping is £25 right now, so a big quilting pattern or fabric would be eye watering. 

I really enjoy modern quilts and have made a few over the years (in fact my spiral swans quilt probably counts) and have another in the planning stage and I'm quite aware of style choices. In fact I rarely make anything considered "traditonal" at all. The concept of a curved ruler is to help create pieces that will piece neatly together, without giving you a headache or needing to FPP. If one creates a simple pattern like that table runner with a ruler that fails to match points that the designer just says "meh" about it then why would I buy either the ruler or the pattern when I could much more easily make an FPP template so every point matches, or mismatches, as a solid design feature.

And in my opinion the point of piecing is to create designs and shapes out of small pieces of fabric that either emphasise or hide the individual pieces that make up blocks and quilts to whatever size required. Whether or not the maker is happy with it is besides the point. Not everyone values precise points or the extra time doing so can create and that is fine. Each maker may do as they please. But when producing something like a commercial pattern seams should piece perfectly or the design feature of mismatch should be an actual feature, not a failing of the pattern. Otherwise those sewers who desire perfectly matched points will have wasted their money, time, fabric, and effort on something that will never work.

At no point has anyone said it's not a "real quilt". The disgruntlement has been on the quality of the pattern, in a similar manner that happens in the lightside when awful examples of patterns are shown on the cover of patterns, or when people sew something up that is obvisouly flawed and the problem is the design of the pattern. When purchasing things, they should be fit for use and up to standard.