The Sewing Place

Disaster!

Lowena

Disaster!
« on: May 18, 2017, 16:44:02 PM »
To use the words of Craig Revell Horwood.....it's a disarstah darling
I had made half the blocks for a quilt. Stupidly I had sewn those blocks together and even added sashing.....it looked good. Then I calculated that not only didn't I have enough of one of the main colours...but I haven't got enough black for the sashing strips  :angry: :'(
I have spent the last 2hrs unpicking!! and it will probably take me the rest of the evening  :'(
Don't say ( as OH did ) you should work it out first .... obviously I thought I had done.  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

Re: Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 16:52:14 PM »
We've all been there daaaahhhhling !

(I'm thinking B&W monstrosity at the mo, which is evolving rather than being planned)

Don't fret ... put it away and come back to it fresh tomorrow or the day after!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 17:16:47 PM »
Got to carry on with it before I can do the next clue in the mystery quilt or do a quilt requested by a friend. Problem was, I began it before I went away, came back and forgot quite what I was doing  :| Started to assemble the half I'd done...and then noticed my mistakes  :o
Ho hum... better to redo, than settle for 2nd best  :angel: ( I suppose??  -< )
:ninja: :ninja:

maliw

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 20:31:21 PM »
Why is it when all seems to be going well something goes wrong? Hope you get it all sorted soon but don't rush it.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:40:37 AM »
Youch Lowie, I feel your misery! But won't it all be worth it in the end  :).

I miscalculated badly on my Hexactly quilt and ended up using about 3 different whites to make up my quantity. Now to a casual glance by Mr.Ruby it looks fine, but boy do I wince every time I look at it. I wish to this day that I had done as you're going to do...unpick and "regroup". Yeah, and don't you love it when your dearheart states the bleeding obvious and then just wanders off. When that happens here, a tempting thought that often comes to my mind is to give him a quick smack over the back of the head as he's heading out to the garage.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:49:51 AM »
There's two different whites in PINK, I am just hoping no-one notices! :|

and on the B&W monstrosity (I ought to stop calling it that or Lucia will be getting a quilt labelled The Monstrosity or something similar!!  :o Ahem !!! ....

.... and on Lucias B&W jobby there are a couple of white background triangles that have gone slightly sepia under the heat of the iron!!! ( Don't know why, its meant to be 100 % cotton sheeting (certainly creases like 100% cotton!!!  :angry:  )

I keep thinking of redoing them but they are right in the middle of it all and I think I would lose the will to live if I had to undo sooooo much... I'm hoping it will wash out...or maybe I could chalk them in white???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
That's one of the reasons I love scrappy quilts: lots of different whites/lights, so you can't go wrong! :D All your matching  fabric quilts do look gorgeous though, so I could be tempted to try it again. Hope you got it all undone Lowena, so you you can start afresh today.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
Thanks girls ( I am sorely tempted by your idea Rubes  0_0 )
I spent all yesterday evening unpicking it all back to the original 6 blocks. Now ready to make up additional blocks with a different blue fabric, rejigg the block pattern and omit the sashing  :o
Wish me luck

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »
I have a quilt that I started making when Mr Acorn and I had just got engaged.  I bought packs of Laura Ashley hexagons in blue and white - on sale - and some black material (with a very small, almost unnoticeable pattern in red and white) that was all I could afford for the background.  Unfortunately I had never made so much as a patchwork cushion before, and had no idea how much fabric I would need.

Of course I ran out of fabric with one vaguely diamond shaped piece of quilt made, and wasn't able to find any more of the background.  It got put away for quite a while.

When I got it out again I started trying to match the background.  As any quilter will know, there are many shades of black, and after a lot of trial and error I matched this with a batik-y blue-black (almost entirely black) fabric.  Now that sounds absurd, but believe me, the shade matches.

It has been taken out and put away many times over the years, because it is entirely hand stitched, including the (pretty basic) quilting.  I can only do a certain amount before the needle makes its way into my finger, and I just can't get on with thimbles.  I have made quite a number of machine quilts over that time though!

I am intending to finish it completely this year, because our 30th anniversary is this summer, and it would be nice to get some use out of it in the time we have left!!!

There is no doubt my aesthetic senses would be much happier if all the background fabric was the second one (much better quality than the first), but actually I quite like the idea that the centre of the quilt is noticeably the section I made before we were married.  It has a story.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »
I too bought some LA hexagons in the 1980 ( in their sale ) I wonder if I still have them?

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
Lowena, I feel your pain!  I'm an expert in the use of the unpicker - self taught too!

Good luck with the 2nd iteration of your quilt:)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
Believe it or not, the use of the unpicker was one of the first things we were taught in school needlework lessons! 

I suppose there are two ways of looking at that... either they had no confidence in us, or they thought it was important for us to know that unpicking was perfectly normal.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lantana

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 18:57:07 PM »
Oh heck only just seen this Low what a bummer! Hope there are no more hold ups! It's so dispiriting having to unpick (backwards sewing ;))

Acorn you think 30 years is a long time? I started making a hand stitch 1/14 in hexagon quilt when I was still at school over 50 years ago! Actually I never did much more to it as every time I started working on it my bf (who became husband, now ex) would spy the needle and gleefully deposit a pile of mending in my lap! Then he said he couldn't bear to see all those scraps and it just looked dirty. (it was new fabric) Of course if I had my time again he'd not get away with it! But things were different then. Keeping it just in case but the stitching is nothing to be proud of. The fabrics were left overs from my classmates sewing projects so I suppose there is a bit of limited historical value lol

Lanty  :vintage: