The Sewing Place

Which ONE book would you recommend to a beginner making clothes for herself?

LeilaMay

I do not have any training in dressmaking; I made little girl's dresses in the 1980's and summer dresses for myself - when I was a size 12 LOL

Now I would like to sew occasionally for myself, and I understand there's a huge amount about patterns and sewing garments that I don't know. I'm not going to go to any course or class, but I'd be happy with a great book, aimed at keen beginners.

What one book would you recommend?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a difficult question LOL

Leila :vintage:

wrenkins

My 'can't live without book' is my Readers Digest basic book from the 70s 80s. It's very good for basic techniques and can be found 2nd hand on ebay usually.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

LeilaMay

Thank you - does it have a specific title?
:)

wrenkins

This is it. The diagrams are very dated now of course but the basics remain.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

LeilaMay

Thank you both :)

Efemera

The Vogue Sewing Book.

BrendaP

The Sewing Book by Alison Smith.

There are several others of similar format published by Vogue, Singer and McCalls; I grew up with the McCalls one, but the Smith book is a little more up to date.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

Thank you all  :)
I will ponder tomorrow and make a purchase.

maliw

Have you got a charity shop/secondhand bookshop anywhere near - I picked up the Readers Digest book really cheaply?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

UttaRetch

Re: Which ONE book would you recommend to a beginner making clothes for herself?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 19:22:43 PM »
I recommend either of the Alison Smith sewing books, BUT if your focus is going to be on clothes I suggest the dressmaking one.  Check The works or Abebooks.  You may also find it cheap on other sites, too.

LeilaMay

Re: Which ONE book would you recommend to a beginner making clothes for herself?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 19:49:44 PM »
Thank you both, for the suggestions on books, and shopping for them :)

Esme866

The Reader's Digest book absolutely! Mine's from the late 70's/early 80's and I'll still pull it out if I haven't done a technique in a while- just to refresh my brain. Everything from very, very basic tailoring steps, to dressmaking and even Home Dec.

Bought one for my boss's daughter and my niece.

Gernella

My niece who sews for a living  also recommends the Readers Digest book, I remember her mentioning it on one of her old websites.

Presumably your level of sewing ability would determine which book would be suitable.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

LeilaMay

Thank you all for your recommendations - I have indeed plumped for the Reader's Digest book.
I have sewn clothes in the past, but I was a "pattern size" in those days, and never tried to make anything very fitted anyway. Now I will need to make pattern alterations, and would like to know how to do things properly.

Thank you all
Leila