The Sewing Place

Which ONE book would you recommend to a beginner making clothes for herself?

Ohsewsimple

If you need info on fitting and pattern alterations that’s another type of book altogether.
I think this is one of the best as it’s easy to understand
palmer/pletsch complete guide to fitting

Someone on here, can’t remember who,  :facepalm: had one for sale recently.

LeilaMay

If you need info on fitting and pattern alterations that’s another type of book altogether.
I think this is one of the best as it’s easy to understand
palmer/pletsch complete guide to fitting

Someone on here, can’t remember who,  :facepalm: had one for sale recently.

Ah  ><
It's gone already by the looks of it, but thank you anyway  :)

Ohsewsimple

Ah  ><
It's gone already by the looks of it, but thank you anyway  :)

Thought it might!

Elnnina

LeilaMay  I too would go for The Readers Digest one and also the Fit for Real People.   As Ohsewsimple has said the FFRP book is excellent on all types of fitting and has plenty of diagrams and photos showing clearly what the problem is and how to rectify.  It would be a good idea to also start making toiles out of calico in order not to waste good fabric. If by chance you need more help on say a full bust adjustment, then I would also recommend the DVD called Full Busted by Marta Alto and she goes into so much detail on just how to create the FBA and also uses real people to fit on.  This DVD is like having a one to one tuition with Marta herself as you can stop and start the DVD and follow her exactly. Marta is actually one of the 'Brains' behind the book Fit for Real People and all the other books in that series.

Have fun, shall look forward to see how you get on and do yell for help if you need it.

LeilaMay

Ironically I've had Fit for Real people in my amazon cart for a coupe of years at least. Sadly the price is currently through the roof!!!
My fit problems will be first and foremeost long body issues - so bust lines and waist lines are always wrong, and rise isn't long enough in trouser. BUt that will part of the fun, right?  :)

Gernella

Actually I have this book, Fit for Real People, which I am ashamed to say I bought it in 2010, flipped through and never looked at it again.  It's the paperback from 2006.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/FIT-REAL-PEOPLE-2ND-Clothes/dp/0935278656/ref=sr_1_2?crid=SVSWPNE2G9AD&dchild=1&keywords=fit+for+real+people&qid=1603554642&sprefix=Fit+for+rreal+%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-2

It cost me £11.43 but anybody is welcome to have it for that price, if they send me a suitable addressed large envelope, it's a bit hefty.  I wasn't even charged for delivery so must have bought something else at the same time.

It's a bit daft me keeping it if I never have the need to use it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Puzzler

:scream:£75 for the paperback and it’s not even the current edition!!!  I actually have this as well and will sell it because I now have the latest edition. Not sure what I paid for the original but must be on my Amazon records.

Kad

I too use the Reader's Digest book, from  1976/7 - I was still at school, didn't take Needlework to O-level but my house tutor, also Needlework teacher, recommended it. A bit old fashioned, but so useful.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.