The Sewing Place

V9114

Catllar

V9114
« on: September 25, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »
Next time I even consider buying a pattern please someone stop me - what sort of shape are they making for?   I finally decided to make up the pants from the yucky brown stripe cotton I was given figuring at worst they'd do for gardening ( or a toile)

To start with , measurements: according to the hip I am a Medium, but the waist would be about 10cms too small, however as it's a pull on and has to go over the hips logic says the waist won't be an issue. For a change instead of just going at it I tissue fitted the top bit - it fitted down to be a Small!

I have a flat bum adjustment on most patterns. That bit was fine. but the crotch seam needed 7 cms removed - 7!! that's A LOT. Who the heck is that tall, oh and that was before the waistband went on!  Anyway having got crotch and waist depth sorted off I went. Ah check length before cutting - needed an extra 6cms to reach my ankle bone - I'm not very tall 5'6" in old money.  So I made them up and they look totally totally ludicrous - The leg width down to where the insert bit  joins needs 10 cms removed to have some semblance of shape. There's loose and there's L  O  O  S  E !!

I'm not giving up because I thing that if I can beat it into submission it'll look quite cute despite the grotty colour!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: V9114
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:40:58 AM »
Aw, c'mon, @Catllar , you know the score - we need PICS!  0_0

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »
My first pair of these were loose too. I've shortened the crotch seam and made a couple of pairs which I love, still loose but that suits me, they're très comfortable.
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 13:03:51 PM »
Too late for pictures - they've been deconstructed and hacked! I don't mind loose but I really could have got a week's groceries in each leg! And if caught in  a strong wind then I'd have been seen sailing across the Pyrenees!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 17:10:41 PM »
I was tempted into making these last year after reading someone's review (not on here) about how well drafted the trousers were. What a disaster. Like you added length so they were below my ankle bone and then just went for it. I looked like coco the clown they were so baggy so they quickly went into the bag for shredding and the pattern in the recycling. I don't wear trousers but liked these when i saw the pattern and thought i might be converted. Will be sticking to dresses and skirts.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 17:18:26 PM »
@snoozi soozi made these and I thought they were lovely. It's a shame the pattern is such a faff.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 17:42:57 PM »
I wouldn't describe them as a faff, I've come across worse patterns to make up  :rolleyes:

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 11:18:57 AM »
So I now have a wearable pari of pants - I took out 10 centimetres down the sides and that did the trick. I redrew the pattern cos I will make them again - but not in stripes - I lost the pleats on the front leg too. I was trying to give you the pictures as requested but my Dropbox transfer says no unless I start paying a lot of money. Will have to try the old way via a connection. Need to ask MrC.  I like your version Wrenkins.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
Ha! They're not mine (though I would steal them). They're @snoozi soozi's.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 13:21:36 PM »
Going to try and do the photo thing - it's v hard transferring between android and mac.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   So there should be one of them as I'm wearing them and the other one showing the still generous amount of ease. I'll wear them and even MrC said they were "unusual"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 13:28:41 PM by Catllar »

snoozi soozi

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 14:31:40 PM »
They look different to mine.....in what way I'm not sure?! Have you added to the length?

I like them though, they suit the fabric  :thumbsup:

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 17:09:12 PM »
Thanks. Just wish they weren't brown - I loathe brown.

Yes I added 6 centimetres - they kind of look ankle length on the envelope and they weren't.

mudcat

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 04:48:14 AM »
Catllar, I think they look pretty good.  I’m with you on the brown.  What does it mean when Mr C says they are unusual?

Mr MC just refers to me as granola when I wear my more unusual styles.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 16:39:05 PM »
That's his secret way of saying he's not keen, but he wouldn't ever say that!