The Sewing Place

Sewing stretch velour

UttaRetch

Sewing stretch velour
« on: September 26, 2020, 15:41:55 PM »
The stretch needle (see attachment) is not working.  Should I try a different stitch, another type of needle or something else? 

Thanks, peeps

BrendaP

Re: Sewing stretch velour
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 16:01:55 PM »
Try a stretch needle and a small zig-zag stitch.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 16:04:26 PM »
I would say tension was out, don't think it's your needle, unless you've changed it and not gone right to the top of the shank.  My first move would be to rethread everything. I tend to get wavy lines like that when I do machine basting on the longest stitch.  Even before it goes really wavy, the  stitch doesn't look that brilliant.

This is why I always keep even the smallest scraps to test, drives me nuts things like this happening, especially if I have to switch machines. 

Hopefully  @UttaRetch an expert will give you a solution.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 17:19:03 PM »
There are stretch needles and there are ball point needles - no idea what the difference is, but have you tried a ball-point instead?

Edit: Me, I'd use an overlocker, no problem then  :laughing: :devil:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 17:21:21 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 17:58:41 PM »
My usual solution  :) - you tried a walking foot @UttaRetch?

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 18:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I will have to experiment with other needles - ballpoint and microtext - which I hope I can buy in my local fabric shop tomorrow.

@Gernella, I don't see those missed stitches on wovens so it's probably not a tension problem.

@Vezelay, I do have a teflon foot and will also give that a try.  There must be a combination that will work.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 18:27:52 PM »
I’d also rethread the machine completely.  I wouldn’t use a microtex needle on stretch. 
Rethread, try on woven fabric first, then try in the velour.  If it works on woven and not on the velour, then need to think of something else. 
Have you washed the fabric?   

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 20:15:36 PM »
Okay, I won't bother with a microtext needle, but will rethread even though I don't think that is the problem since I had no issues when I sewed the trial masks.

@Ohsewsimple, I NEVER pre-wash and nothing has ever shrunk in subsequent washing.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 21:17:40 PM »
This little graphic gives a good idea of needle tip comparisons.

Needle type_tips_uses
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 22:10:23 PM »
@UttaRetch its not about shrinkage.  There can often be a finish of some kind on the fabric.  If you wash it it gets rid of it.  If not it can cause problems when you’re sewing! 

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 23:42:52 PM »
Have you tried a universal needle @UttaRetch? I know you would expect to use a different kind but sometimes it can work.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 08:37:01 AM »
@Ohsewsimple, I reckon I had about seven metres of 150cm wide fabric.  I couldn't even get all of that in my machine and then there is the problem of drying since I have no outside space, followed by the mammoth ironing task.

@Helen M, at this stage I will try anything.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »
Stretch velour shouldn't need much, if any ironing, though some of it likes to roll like mad, but yours looks to be a double layer fabric so that's much less likely.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »
 I would also try a stretch zig-zag stitch as well.

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 15:11:22 PM »
As you've asked about different types of needle...I've sewn several stretch velours without a problem using a mixture of sewing machine and overlocker. I use the superstretch needle by default now for all my dancewear after so many successes with it in my sewing machine, overlocker and coverstitch. I use it in all three as they all use the same standard needle system. Its reference is HAx1SP but is definitely part of the 130/705H needle system and safe for any regular domestic sewing machine other than some really ancient vintage machines.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.