The Sewing Place

Sewing stretch velour

BrendaP

Re: Sewing stretch velour
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 17:12:36 PM »

@Helen M, at this stage I will try anything.

@UttaRetch  I think that maybe you are discovering that modern stretch fabrics need a modern machine, ie an overlocker.  I know you are very much of the opinion that an overlocker is unneccessary as a regular machine can do everything, but can it?  :thinking:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 18:21:20 PM »
You forget @BrendaP that I used to have an overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 18:27:37 PM »
And using it for stretchy velour?

However, from the first pic it looks as though your regular machine is struggling with staystitching on a single layer of fabric.  That's not an overlocker job, though a one needle chainstitch might be the answer to your problem, but £££
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 18:43:15 PM »
And using it for stretchy velour?

I don't know.  You are the one that introduced an overlocker into the discussion.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 19:07:36 PM »
I don't know.  You are the one that introduced an overlocker into the discussion.

No!  Bodgitandscarper mentioned an overlocker before I did.

My personal experience of trying to sew very stretchy fabrics with a regular machine, modernish or vintage, is that they don't like them, but also they often don't much like sewing a single layer.

Try reducing the pressure on the foot so that the fabric is less likely to stretch as it passes through, use a small zig zag, or the lightning stitch.  For sewing seams the 2 forward one back stretch stitch might be what works.

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 19:26:05 PM »
I don't see why @UttaRetch needs to use an overlocker for a simple piece of neck sewing, an ordinary machine with a ballpoint needle should do the job, you wouldn't even have to use walking foot for that bit.

I've used stretch velour in the past and don't remember any problems other than I didn't like the finished article.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 20:01:00 PM »
Have you tried using a straight stitch?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Kad

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 11:24:18 AM »
I fought sewed stretch velour early this year and had a  similar experience. After much changing of needles/stitch pattern/foot and foot pressure, what worked for me was walking foot with jersey needle, 'lightning' stitch, slightly reduced foot pressure and a finer better quality thread. Changing the thread was my last option before abandoning the fabric completely, and it made such a difference.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 13:51:38 PM »
I 'm late to to this party. Last year before the world turned upside down I made 15 stretch velour flamenco dresses and I used Superstretch needles. Ballpoints didn't work and I didn't fancy the microtex ones in this instance.  I used my overlocker a lot but where no stretch was needed  on all the vertical seams, I just used a straight stitch. They've held up for dancing. If I'd needed stretch I think I'd have used a wobble stitch as I often have to remake these costumes and have you ever tried to unpick the lightning stitch? It's not pleasant!  Hope you found a solution that works for you @UttaRetch .
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 14:13:42 PM »
I am using an universal needle with a 3.0 straight stitch length.  The pattern has turned into a nightmare and I am having to recut several pieces and have run out of fabric.  I will be sprinting to the Upton Park in the hope of getting more.  I really don't want to dump this because there is a lot of fabric involved, but I really wish I hadn't started it.  :(

Gernella

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 15:21:44 PM »
It's not some odd fabric that would like a teflon foot? @UttaRetch .  I don't remember ever being stumped by machine stitching fabric before other than some top stitching that had me machine hopping until success and then I suspect there was some user error involved.

I think you'll have to raise white smoke when you've cracked it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 17:58:15 PM »
The universal needle and straight stitch length 3.0 sews well enough through two layers of stretch velour, BUT the instructions are proving to be mystifying in some areas.  I am having to recut the bodice and collar and will sit down and think of a better way to attach the collar.